Core Design Engineer
DESIGN & ENGINEERING
Interested in making an impact on clean energy initiatives? Grow your career at Framatome!
Framatome is a major global leader in the nuclear energy market recognized for its innovative solutions and value-added technologies for designing, building, maintaining, and advancing the international nuclear fleet. Offering a full range of reactor services requires an unparalleled passion and sense of purpose connected to our company’s mission and vision.
Essential to Framatome’s mission are our employees who provide a unique set of skills, knowledge, and experience that support us in providing competitive, reliable, and safe nuclear power plants. Our commitment to our employees is recognized through our competitive total rewards package. Enjoy competitive compensation, generous benefits and take part in innovative projects and development opportunities.
Framatome is an international leader in nuclear energy recognized for its innovative solutions and value-added technologies for the global nuclear fleet. With worldwide expertise and a proven track record for reliability and performance, the company designs, services and installs components, fuel, and instrumentation and control systems for nuclear power plants. More than 14,000 Framatome employees work every day to help our customers supply ever cleaner, safer, and more economical low-carbon energy.
Framatome Fuel Design team is currently seeking an experienced Core Design Engineers for its Lynchburg, Virginia location!
Framatome Inc. has been serving the U.S. nuclear energy industry since the 1950’s and has approximately 2,300 employees working from locations across North America. In the Fuel Design team, it is our passion and commitment to design and deliver the most competitive, safe, and reliable fuel solutions for the worldwide nuclear industry. We are responsible for the design and implementation of advanced fuel assembly designs, development and implementation of advanced codes and methods, and development of accident tolerant fuel and advanced fuel management products.
Come join a team with a passion for Nuclear Science and Engineering and its application to solve the nuclear industry’s challenges of today and tomorrow. Our team supports a vast array of projects, including R&D development of higher burnup core designs using high enrichments and advanced fuel management techniques, using the industry's most advance core design tools, implementing our advanced control rod ejection and safety analysis methodologies. These advanced tools and methods are state of the art and ready for a highly motivated engineer to introduce them to the industry. We commit daily to making nuclear reactors safer and more efficient – this is a career that makes a difference.
Come have an impact on a global organization and participate in regular collaboration with colleagues and customers across the globe. Hone your professional skills as you defend new techniques to regulatory bodies for approval, interface with engineers in mechanical, materials, thermal-hydraulic, and safety analysis disciplines, and take advantage of opportunities to present Framatome’s achievements to the nuclear community to continue advancement of our industry.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Global R&D programs for High Burnup/ High Enrichment fuel management development – plan and execute multi-year programs
- Lead licensing activities for first-of-a-kind implementation – bring innovative solutions to the industry
- Lead reload licensing activities – ownership of the plant reload licensing process
- Develop economic core designs - developing new automation and optimization tools
- Perform Criticality and Dose Analysis – find solutions to nuclear facility modifications
- Represent Framatome to utility customers, U.S. Department of Energy, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, laboratories, universities, and key industry forums
All candidates must meet the following minimum requirements to be considered for this opportunity:
- BS in Nuclear Eng'g/Eng'g Tech. plus a minimum of 3 years of engineering experience. An advanced degree may be substituted for related exp. (MS 1-2 yrs. or PhD 1-3 yrs.). In applicable states a PE license will be accepted in lieu of a 4 yr. engineering degree.
The following may be used to differentiate candidates who apply for this position:
- Excellent communication skills (oral / presentation / written).
- Proven ability to effectively communicate and coordinate activities among the diverse groups within Framatome and with customers.
- Positive and effective team interaction skills along with positive peer relationship skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and initiative in meeting customer requirements.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple assignments to reach team objectives
- Demonstrated PWR or BWR core design and/or nuclear analysis experience.
- Demonstrated mastery of computer model development and application (e.g. SCALE, KENO, ANC, CASMO, SIMULATE or other nuclear industry analysis code).
- Experience working with engineering workstation computers and LINUX operating environments.
- Computer programming/software capabilities and experience in FORTRAN, C/C++, or PYTHON.
Framatome is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
This position is located at 3315 Old Forest Rd, Lynchburg, VA 24501, Lynchburg, VA. View the Google Map in full screen.