Vice President Mortgage Origination
The Vice President of Mortgage Originations will lead, direct, and monitor the Conventional, Government, and Construction lending production operation to meet institutional goals and objectives. Works with the Vice President of Real Estate Lending on the organizational strategy, structure, policy, and procedure initiatives of the department. Leverages experience in all facets of mortgage lending, analytical and communication skills, and their strong leadership background to ensure market growth, process evaluation and exceptional service levels are maintained.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Manages and provides leadership to the Mortgage Loan Origination Team, including internal and external sales. Coaches, mentors, and provides guidance to Supervisors in areas of staffing, career development, performance evaluations, problem solving, training, etc.
- Holds one-on-one meetings, Department meetings, huddles on a regular basis to develop skills and expertise while improving overall engagement level of the team. Implements activities to keep the team engaged, share information, solicit input, and provide exceptional service to both internal and external customers.
- Accountable for performance of the team to achieve established goals and a high level of service. Holds team accountable for results and SLAs for member service.
- Assists the VP of Mortgage Lending and Chief Lending Officer with Mortgage Secondary Market product and pricing functions and correspondent lending channel activities.
- Develops and maintains an understanding of compliance and regulatory expectations for Loan Origination including but not limited to SAFE Act.
- Contributes to the mortgage department’s strategic direction.
- Supports development and implements Fortera Credit Union’s lending policy and strategy while ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Monitors loan quality and product delivery and takes action to identify and resolve problems.
- Directs department scheduling and workflows such that member loan processes are streamlined.
- Serves as a chief decision maker to resolve member escalations and other sensitive issues.
- Monitors pipeline performance to ensure adherence to institutional service level objectives.
- Provides sales leadership, goal setting, and coaching to the mortgage origination team.
- Supports development, provides input and assistance with new product initiatives.
- Interacts with Marketing to ensure consistent promotion of mortgage products.
- Collaborates with Operations and Underwriting and Servicing leadership to maintain department cohesiveness.
- Keeps leadership informed of key operational issues.
- Attends and participates all in required meetings, trainings, and committees.
- Participates in community and civic events to promote awareness of the Credit Union in the community.
- Recruits, hires, trains, manages (coaches/counsels), and provides direction to staff including monitoring of goals, objectives, managing day-to-day operational activities and performing timely annual performance reviews.
- Works at any Credit Union location that may include extended hours, holidays, or Saturdays.
- Ensures work area and assigned equipment are clean, secure, and well-maintained.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by management.
- Maintain a cohesive, highly trained, motivated staff sufficient to meet loan demand; ensure service level standards are met and that the team is delivering quality results.
- Ensure all mortgage loan origination activities are compliant with established policies and regulations.
- Ensure mortgage loan origination procedures are current.
- Ensure origination workflows and processes are streamlined, efficient and compliant.
- Keep management informed regarding key operational issues affecting the department or the credit union.
- Ensure direct reports achieve individual goals and receive ongoing developmental training.
- Comply with all applicable rules, regulations, and policies, including but not limited to SAFE Act, BSA, OFAC and Physical Security.
- Sales and Service Standards are met.
- Fortera Core Values are satisfactorily demonstrated.
Special Note: Fortera Federal Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, sex, race, color, national origin, disability, pregnancy genetic information, religious preference, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other trait protected by state or federal law.
Please be advised, visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Able to accurately assess the cultural environment, exhibiting emotional intelligence and appropriate sensitivity while maintaining individuality.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Able to work in a cooperative manner with others.
- Comfortable with, and can effectively navigate through, ambiguity.
- Versatile and open to learning new skills; open to change.
- Able to translate and drive business strategy.
- Strong supervisory skills; able to build positive relationships.
- Able to help establish department goals and implement plans for achievement thru team member participation.
- Results orientated; able to accomplish results through others.
- Displays leadership and appropriate decision-making abilities. Able to exercise sound judgement.
- Able to meet deadlines while maintaining and effective and efficient workflow.
- Well organized, and attentive to detail.
- Solid project management abilities.
- Able to operate PC, related software applications and standard business equipment.
- Able to work independently, as a part of a team, and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Professional dress, appearance, and attitude.
- Able to work well under pressure while always promoting a professional image of the Credit Union.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
- Using primarily just the fingers to make small movements such as typing, picking up small objects, or pinching fingers together.
- Especially where one must convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Ability to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
- Movements frequently and regularly required using the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
Average Visual Abilities:
- Average, ordinary, visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or products or operate machinery.
- Sedentary work; sitting most of the time. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. (Almost all office jobs.)
- No hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions (such as in a typical office).
MENTAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
- Ability to apply logical or scientific thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions.
- Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions and can deal with multiple variables.
- Ability to compute discount, interest, profit and loss, commission markup, and selling price; ratio, proportion, and percentage.
- Able to perform very simple algebra.
- Ability to read scientific and technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to prepare articles, abstracts, editorials, journals, manuals, and critiques.
- Ability to prepare and make comprehensive presentations, participate in formal debate, communicate extemporaneously, and professionally communicate before an audience.
- Four years college or five years of similar experience in lieu of education.
- Continuing education, a plus.
- NMLS certification or ability to obtain.
- Thorough knowledge of Credit Union loan products, services, operations, policies, and standards.
- Understanding of government regulations and legal requirements involving real estate lending and related functions.
- Familiarity with loan promotions and marketing practices.
- Preference for working in organizations that place priority on personal humility, diversity, inclusion, teamwork, and collaboration.
- At least five years of progressive experience in mortgage lending related positions.
- Three to five years administrative and supervisory experience.