Sr. Investment Analyst
How will your role impact First Command?
As a member of the Investment Management Team, the candidate’s primary responsibility will be to conduct thorough due diligence on investment managers, and to record and track these results. Emphasis will be on interviewing current and prospective investment managers and contributing to team recommendations based on quantitative and qualitative criteria. In addition, the candidate will be expected to maintain a high awareness of current economic and market events in order to contribute to investment strategy discussions. Lastly, some experience in credit/fixed income analysis would be beneficial in order to lend support to other areas of the firm.
What will you be doing?
- Due Diligence Research on all existing and potential retail and managed account investment solutions, with an emphasis on First Command’s fund family partners. Due Diligence emphasizes both quantitative and qualitative research in support of the investment managers selected for First Command’s portfolios. These activities include:
- Conducting in-depth conference calls or in-person meetings with fund and strategy portfolio management teams across multiple asset classes. Candidate must be willing to travel up to 25% in any given month.
- Discerning, documenting, and conveying the drivers for selected investment strategies, concentrating on identifying the pros and cons surrounding the people, philosophy, process, performance, and price of each strategy.
- Identifying other potential risks (operational, administrative, etc.) to take into account when evaluating investment strategies.
- Assists with Portfolio Management: Assists with analysis of asset class performance and valuation.
- Reporting: Provides ongoing information for investment committees.
- Writing Commentary: Has the ability to write “Plain English” commentary on the economy, the capital markets, and First Command portfolios.
- Communication, Advisor Support, and Training: Serves as a subject matter expert for internal support personnel. Occasionally responds directly to advisor and client inquiries via telephone or e-mail as necessary. Occasionally participates in training sessions or other presentations to internal and external constituents, including client seminars. Assists with development of client/advisor communications and development of advisor training.
- Corporate Support: Lends support to the management and oversight of various corporate fixed income portfolios.
What skills/qualifications do you need?
- Bachelor's degree required, with a preferred emphasis on finance, accounting, or business.
- Master’s degree a plus.
- 8-10 Years of investment industry experience and 5+ years of fund manager due diligence experience, with experience conducting on-site manager due diligence.
- Modest credit or bond portfolio analysis and/or trading preferred.
- CFA Charterholder (or material progress toward its completion) required.
- FRM, CFP, CPA, etc. or progress towards any of these designations is a plus.
- Candidate will be expected to become FINRA Series 7 and 66 licensed within 1 year of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Must be able to meet deadlines.
- Delivers quality, detail-oriented analysis.
- Highly competent with Microsoft Office products, particularly in Excel (VBA coding knowledge a plus), PowerPoint, and Word.
- Familiarity with Morningstar Direct required.
- Familiarity with Bloomberg and Pershing’s NetX360 a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in written form.
- Able to present to live audiences.
©2020 First Command Financial Services, Inc. is the parent company of First Command Brokerage Services, Inc. (Member SIPC, FINRA), First Command Advisory Services, Inc., First Command Insurance Services, Inc., and First Command Bank. Securities products and brokerage services are offered by First Command Brokerage Services, Inc., a broker-dealer. Financial planning and investment advisory services are offered by First Command Advisory Services, Inc., an investment adviser. Insurance products and services are offered by First Command Insurance Services, Inc. Banking products and services are offered by First Command Bank. Securities are not FDIC insured, have no bank guarantee, and may lose value. A financial plan, by itself, cannot assure that retirement or other financial goals will be met.
This position is located at 1 FirstComm Plaza, Fort Worth, TX. View the Google Map in full screen.