Summary – basic function of the role
Focus on continuous improvement activities (Lean & Six Sigma) which provide cost reductions and quality improvements for the Columbus manufacturing facility. Direct activities and functions necessary to coordinate product groups in Design Engineering, New Product Teams, Materials, Suppliers and the Plant. Assist in the resolution of processing and data collection problems to improve manufacturing quality and productivity. Facilitate communications between key suppliers, internal and external customers.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Continuous Improvement- drive cost reduction and quality improvements through Lean and Six Sigma activities.
- Provides cost estimates for new products and major product changes. Prepares summary and submits pre-production product costs with tooling and equipment investment for ROI analysis. Prepares Authorizations for Expenditure (AFE's) for new product tooling and equipment.
- Specifies and/or provides necessary tools, fixtures, equipment, and related training as required for plant production and testing. Follow up to ensure efficient and safe operating conditions.
- Investigates new tooling methods, machine tool innovations and improvements in testing techniques to continuously up-date production efficiencies. Evaluates suppliers' capabilities for meeting future requirements advising new manufacturing methodology and recommending equipment investments.
- Reviews Engineering Change Orders (ECO's) as to feasibility and effect on methods, tooling and parts salvage/rework.
- Responsible for quality improvement and cost reduction of assigned products. Shares responsibility for meeting departmental cost reduction goals.
- Responsible for administering major capital investments in facilities and manufacturing processes.
- Aid and assist in product and component failure analysis.
- Prioritize the quality and assembly issues of the manufacturing cell.
- Facilitate the team problem solving activities.
- Implement and follow up with kaizen activities
Skills and Competencies - identify the ALE competencies that are most critical for success in the role
- Lead a team to scope and complete projects effectively.
- Basic understanding of Manufacturing Requirements Plan (MRP), Just in Time (JIT) and KanBan systems
- Basic to intermediate PC skills in Microsoft Office applications, including Word and Excel
- Communicate (orally and through written communications) with staff on all levels of the organization (direct labor to executives)
- Organization skills for high volume applications
Education and Experience
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Engineering) from a four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
Experience Requirements: Must be able to function at a Six Sigma Green Belt level; Experience in: machining and assembly/test operations, tooling evaluation, supplier qualification, facilities engineering, new product introduction processes and cost savings through improved processes/efficiencies are strongly preferred
Certification Requirements: N/A
Employee may have to lift documents/work materials up to 50 pounds in weight. Employee will have to be able to walk/climb to a variety of primary work locations. Employee will need manual (hand) dexterity to assemble/repair small parts for long periods of time. Employee will need to listen, understand, and speak with team members at all levels within a diverse workforce. Employee is able to work in front of a personal computer and telephone for long periods of time.
Employee will work in a temperature controlled office setting. Employee will also be out in a manufacturing environment. Employee may work near moving mechanical parts and may be exposed to electrical shock and vibration. Employee is exposed to elevated levels of noise on the plant floor.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Key External Contacts/Clients
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the job described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.