Principal Product Engineer
Summary – basic function of the role
Be the guru of New Product Development (NPD) engineering, Research and Development (R&D) and advanced technology development. Contribute to and support organization strategies and objectives to meet customer needs through exciting new product and technology deployment. Demonstrate strong subject matter expertise (SME) and innovation capabilities and provide technical leadership and mentorship to the entire NPD engineering community.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and contribute to the most technically challenging new product development engineering projects to increase technology, reduce product cost, improve operator safety and ease of use with strong customer focus.
- Be an experienced mentor to other members of the product development community, reviewing and contributing to other engineers’ designs, ensuring state of the art design principles are being utilized.
- Work closely with extended stakeholder groups to capture new business, contribute to technical requirements, and develop new product concepts. Be a resource and sounding board, offering technical expertise to stakeholders inside and outside engineering.
- Monitor and assess the development and feasibility of new industry technologies and advanced analytical techniques and apply them to Enerpac projects and products where and when possible.
- Significant contribution to Segment/Product and Technology roadmap.
- Responsible for new technology and advanced product development in the areas of
- Hydraulic – design and analysis of high pressure components and systems
- Mechanical – design and analysis of components, structures and systems for tools
- Aerospace – design of tools to aid in assembly and inspection of aerospace systems
Utilizing engineering principles and advanced analytical tools\ while adhering to the NPD process and ensuring products meet technical requirements and market expectations before release.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of electrical components, packaging, routing and controls
- Develop technology and academic partnerships to acquire competencies critical to achieving a competitive advantage for Enerpac.
- Communicate effectively on engineering issues. Ability to comprehend and then communicate complex technical matters to a variety of audiences. Maintain positive working relationships with cross functional team members and other stakeholders.
Skills and Competencies - identify the competencies that are most critical for success in the role
- Deep competency in new product development processes, technologies and experiences.
- Understanding of various manufacturing processes including molded metal and plastic parts, machined components, welded assemblies and additive manufacturing.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects independently in a team environment.
- Computer skills of Microsoft Office, CREO, Windchill and FEA required. CFD/AMEsim, topological optimization and generative design experience a plus.
- Understanding of mechanical components with ability to apply knowledge to product design. Industrial hydraulics and specifically pump and valves experience a plus.
Competencies: Innovation, Drive for Results, Adaptability, Effective Communication
Education and Experience
Education Requirements: Bachelors of Science in Engineering with a Master’s Degree in Engineering a plus.
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in the design of industrial products, with hydraulic knowledge preferred.
- History of creativity and innovation in the development of new products.
- Demonstrated understanding of NPD engineering and technology development processes.
- Effective oral and written communication skills across multiple levels in the organization. Ability to comprehend and then communicate complex technical matters to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Will consider relocation for right candidate
Certification Requirements: N/A
Employee may have to lift documents/work materials up to 30 pounds in weight. Employee will have to be able to walk/climb to a variety of primary work locations. Employee will need manual (hand) dexterity to assemble/repair hydraulic equipment and be able to safely and comfortably use manual and power tools. Employee will need to listen, understand, and speak with team members in person, telephonically, and electronically at all levels within a diverse workforce and with supported organizations. Employee is able to work in front of a personal computer and telephone for long periods of time.
Employee will work in a temperature controlled office setting. Employee will also be occasionally in an Engineering Lab and in a manufacturing environment. Employee may work near moving mechanical parts, may be exposed to electrical shock and vibration, and will be exposed to mineral based hydraulic oils, lubricants. Employee will be exposed to low levels of noise in the office and elevated levels of noise in the Engineering lab and on the plant floor.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Key External Contacts/Clients
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the job described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Enerpac Tool Group/Enerpac/Hydratight/Cortland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.