Summary – basic function of the role
Perform engineering work in Product Engineering including New Product Development (NPD), Research and Development (R&D) and Custom Products along with Production, Supplier or Field Service support.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to engineering projects as assigned for improving product cost, quality, robustness and delivery with strong customer focus.
- Responsible for new product development in the areas of
- Hydraulic – design and analysis of high pressure components and systems
- Mechanical – design and analysis of components, structures and systems for tools
- Aerospace – design of tools to aid in assembly and inspection of aerospace systems
Utilizing engineering principles and tools, while adhering to the NPD process and ensuring products meet market expectations before release.
- Basic knowledge of electrical components and controls
- Contribute to Segment/Product and Technology roadmap.
- Address and resolve production and customer problems related to product design.
- Responsible for quality improvement and cost reduction of assigned products. Share responsibility meeting departmental cost reduction goals.
- Communicate effectively on engineering issues. Maintain positive working relationships with cross functional team members and other stakeholders.
Skills and Competencies - identify the competencies that are most critical for success in the role
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects independently in a team environment.
- Proficient skill in organizational, written, oral and professional abilities.
- Computer skills of Microsoft Office. CREO, FEA and/or CFD/AMEsim experience a plus.
- Understanding of mechanical components with ability to apply knowledge to product design. Industrial hydraulics and specifically pump and valves experience a plus.
- Understanding of various manufacturing processes including molded metal and plastic parts, machined components, welded assemblies and additive manufacturing.
Competencies: Innovation, Drive for Results, Adaptability, Effective Communication
Education and Experience
Education Requirements: Bachelors of Science in Engineering with a Master’s Degree in Engineering a plus.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in the design of industrial products, with hydraulic knowledge preferred.
- History of creativity and innovation in the development of new products.
- Understanding of engineering and technology development processes.
- Effective communication both orally and in writing.
- Technical aptitude and strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Track record of collaboration with cross-functional departments and teams.
Certification Requirements: N/A
Employee may have to lift documents/work materials up to 30 pounds in weight. Employee will have to be able to walk/climb to a variety of primary work locations. Employee will need manual (hand) dexterity to assemble/repair hydraulic equipment and be able to safely and comfortably use manual and power tools. Employee will need to listen, understand, and speak with team members in person, telephonically, and electronically at all levels within a diverse workforce and with supported organizations. Employee is able to work in front of a personal computer and telephone for long periods of time.
Employee will work in a temperature controlled office setting. Employee will also be occasionally in an Engineering Lab and in a manufacturing environment. Employee may work near moving mechanical parts, may be exposed to electrical shock and vibration, and will be exposed to mineral based hydraulic oils, lubricants. Employee will be exposed to low levels of noise in the office and elevated levels of noise in the Engineering lab and on the plant floor.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.