Technical Sales Representative
Summary – basic function of the role
Primary responsibility for the Technical Sales Representative – West Coast will be to interface with target customers located within regional boundaries. Key principle objectives will be maximizing sales volume and profit, providing technical support and training and developing the maximum potential from markets for the company’s high performance synthetic rope products. Key markets will include but not limited to marine, industrial, and aerospace.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage existing customer accounts and the generation of new accounts through lead creation, follow up and direct sales of Cortland industrial products used in a wide range of industries.
- Visit customer sites on a regular basis to give sales presentations, perform product demonstrations, install new products and advise/train customers on the correct use of their equipment.
- Ensure current and potential customers receive world class sales service and communication.
- Prepare regular reports of the market share of products indicating customers, projects, and probable dates of occurrence.
- Analyze and understand the market related to the solutions supplied by Cortland, identifying and developing the opportunities to sell industrial products.
- Preparing individualized quotes, promotions and negotiations for potential customers or projects.
- Maintaining applicable systems with quotes, customer information, job specs, etc.
- Follow safety rules of the production floor, customer sites or at the specific area you work in.
Skills and Competencies - identify the ALE competencies that are most critical for success in the role
- Professionalism in all forms of external and internal customer communications, i.e. phone etiquette, email protocol, fax correspondence, letters, etc.
- Capable of navigating in and understanding our ERP systems as well as general PC skills.
- Ability to work directly with and communicate amongst all team members.
- Highly skilled at problem solving coupled with a high degree of knowledge on Cortland products, processes and procedures.
- Must be able to troubleshoot service related product issues by performing research and extensively communicating with the various functional areas.
- Basic electronic spreadsheet, data base and word processing software skills are required, preferably Microsoft Office (Excel and Word) applications.
- Must have the ability to read and interpret financial reports.
- Be able to work efficiently from remote or home office with little or no supervision
- Ability to interpret and communicate technical information in written, oral and diagram formats
Education and Experience
Education Requirements: Two year technical degree; bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience Requirements: 5+ years of sales experience
Certification Requirements: N/A
Employee may have to lift documents/work materials up to 30 pounds in weight. Employee will have to be able to travel to a variety of work locations, including traveling by air/auto to remote sites. Employee will need to listen, understand, and speak with team members in person, telephonically, and electronically at all levels within a diverse workforce and with supported organizations. Employee is able to work in front of a personal computer and telephone for long periods of time, as well as sitting for a period of time due to travel.
Approximately 70% of travel within region.
Employee’s work environment will vary from day to day dependent on travel schedule, meeting/customer locations, etc.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Key External Contacts/Clients
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the job described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.