Director of Enterprise Risk
Eagle Bancorp, Inc. headquartered in Bethesda, MD, was incorporated in 1997 to serve as the bank holding company for EagleBank. Eagle Bancorp is a publicly traded company under the symbol EGBN. EagleBank commenced banking operations on July 20, 1998, and currently operates 20 banking offices: six in Suburban, Maryland, five located in the District of Columbia; and nine in Northern Virginia. The Bank was founded to specifically address the business and personal needs of local business owners. It has been answering and exceeding those needs for over 20 years, providing custom financial solutions, local access to senior management, quick response, local decision-making, and a deeply-rooted dedication to the local community.
Our Mission is to be the most respected and profitable community bank by putting relationships first to the delight of our customers, employees, and shareholders, and relentlessly deliver the most compelling service and value. Eagle Bank’s Values are: Relationships F·I·R·S·T: Flexible, Involved, Responsive, Strong, and Trusted.
Responsible for developing, implementing, administering, training and maintaining all aspects of EagleBank’s Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) program, including supporting the identification, evaluation, prioritization, mitigation, and monitoring all relevant risks such strategic, operational, financial, credit, compliance, reputational, etc. Review Policies and procedures, develop risk identification and assessment frameworks, measure and monitor risk, conduct training, report to senior management on prioritized risks and coach functional, and business unit leadership in the development of risk mitigation plans consistent with our enterprise risk management framework. Will also work with senior management to define and document specific risk appetite, monitor the effectiveness of risk mitigation and management activities, and prepare quarterly enterprise risk reports. Works to enhance and operate a risk management system that meets regulators, BOD and senior management expectations. Works closely with key Risk constituencies (First Line of Defense, Management level Committees, Board and Board Committees, and Internal Audit) to design and continuously recommend improvements to the process and mechanisms for discussing, reporting, and making decisions on risk by senior management and the Board of Directors
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Initiate and sustain productive engagement and relationships with senior leaders on areas of enterprise risks, supporting the three lines of defense.
- Maintain a comprehensive portfolio of Bank’s compliance and enterprise risks by gathering, aggregating, and translating information from sources across the business and outside the business.
- Analyze the enterprise and compliance risk portfolios to identify trends, inter-dependencies, impacts, gaps, and other relationships
- Lead and coordinate risk life-cycle activities, e.g., risk assessment and analysis, consistent with Bank’s risk frameworks
- Develop and apply key risk indicators across compliance and enterprise risks portfolio consistent with risk framework to measure the risk exposure
- Conduct workshops with business leaders and supporting teams to develop risk treatment plans for prioritized compliance and enterprise risks, including actions commensurate with Bank’s risk appetite and indicators to monitor the risk
- Lead the implementation of the risk framework, including ensuring consistency and adoption across geographic areas, business units and functional departments
- Apply judgment and analytics to synthesize broad base of business and financial information to the risk life-cycle (e.g. risk scoring)
- Develop and oversee program maturity road map, including the creation of maturity plans specific to developing Eagle’s risk appetite, and evolution of risk metrics
- Ensure adequate and timely monitoring for key compliance and enterprise risks
- Respond to and provide support to all bank personnel on operational risk matters including complex issues. Work with bank personnel to enhance processes, operational controls and/or procedures.
- Stay abreast of regulatory matters involving areas of responsibility. Research issues and respond to questions from bank personnel, utilizing legal and regulatory reference materials, professional associations, attorneys, firms and organizations as appropriate.
- Participate in, and prepare for, regulatory examinations and internal audits and assist in preparing responses to exams and audits.
- Provide support in in other risk management programs and responsibilities, as needed, including other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in information management, business management, finance or related field.
- Master’s Degree in a related field.
- 12 years progressive experience directly related to risk governance and controls.
- 3 years of supervisory experience supervision of a team or a leadership role.
- 5 years practical experience and exposure to the various risk categories and a regional bank ERM program.
- 5 years Credit Risk knowledge.
- Certifications relevant to ERM may vary; however, certifications show candidate’s quest to expand their knowledge and proficiency which is essential to this position.
- Ability to understand complex business processes and develop effective risk management and monitoring programs.
- Strong executive presence and comfort presenting information to large groups across multiple levels.
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to manage projects, build teams and lead change.
- Ability to use MS Office tools for analysis and report writing.
- Ability to utilize technology and systems to advance program initiatives.