Tool & Die Maker
Hourly Manufacturing Positions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Builds Dies – Work layout, machine and grind and fit details – thorough knowledge of tooling, machining processes, and die functions – distractions and interruptions to other jobs.
- Sharpens and repairs dies in tool room – Disassembles dies, inspects, welds, repairs, grinds, detail, fits detail into dies – same skill requirements as above, same distractions, and interruptions plus frustrations of machine shortage at times.
- Maintains dies in the Press Room – Analyzes die problems, troubleshoots problems, repairs damaged details, sharpens, aligns, times dies – same skills as above plus knowledge and experience with presses, feed mechanisms, releases, timing, and die set-up. Distractions, noise, working in confined and dangerous quarters, oil, and compounds.
- Required knowledge of steels, stresses, and material.
- Have the ability to mentally picture position and shape of objects; predict position in space after movement.
- May be given certain authority within job scope by Manager
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must pass a Basic Skills Test. Completed technical school courses through a four-year apprenticeship preferred. Requires use of advanced shop math and formulas. Ability to work with complicated drawings and diagrams. Over five years’ experience. Jobs which involve very little repetition, assignments frequently present a new set of complex problems or conditions. Tool and die repairing and building of the most-complicated molding dies and progressive metal dies where construction details are frequently left to the employee to develop.
Requires the use of high degree of judgement, initiative and ingenuity working independently to devise new methods, procedures, processes, layouts, equipment, designs, circuitry, etc. to accomplish very difficult problems. The developing of the details and constructing of very complicated tools and dies.
Requires intense and exacting mental and visual attention. Develop intricate and complex details for complicated dies. Responsible for own work. This includes aiding in the training of new employees.
Must be available to work 3rd shift (10:55pm -7am).
Journeyman certificate preferred.
This position is located at 1500 Freeman Avenue, Athens, AL. View the Google Map in full screen.