Colorado Parks and Wildlife - Wildlife Technician Individual Placement
Title: Colorado Parks and Wildlife - Wildlife Technician Individual Placement
Start/End Date: January 16th, 2023 – June 30th, 2023
Stipend: $600.00/week (+Education Award)
Term: 24 weeks
Reports To: Colorado Parks and Wildlife – Salida Office
Location: Salida, CO 81201
Status: 900-hour AmeriCorps Service Term
Benefits: AmeriCorps Education Award $3,247.50 after successful completion
Southwest Conservation Corps’ Mission
It is the mission of the Southwest Conservation Corps to empower individuals to positively impact their lives, their communities, and the environment.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife’s (CPW) mission is to perpetuate the wildlife resources of the state, to provide a quality state parks system, and to provide enjoyable and sustainable outdoor recreation opportunities that educate and inspire current and future generations to serve as active stewards of Colorado’s natural resources.
This individual will assist CPW across multiple programs including, wildlife managers, biologists, and property technicians, as well as performing administrative duties. They will assist the Area 13 District Wildlife Manager, including: district patrol, town deer issues, bear issues and education. They will be assisting with operating ATV's and boats, equipment maintenance, and will conduct revegetation projects.
Individuals will also assist Area 13 biologists on projects such as: deer study collar collection, monitor aquatic habitat and fish census, attend public meetings and internal license setting. This individual will assist with Area 13 property technicians, including: maintenance of Area 13’s shop area, ATV’s, snowmobiles, and trailers. They will participate in opening Area 13 ditches and irrigating properties. They will also assist with restrooms and cleanup at State wildlife areas. This individual will be completing administrative tasks at the area office including: answering the public’s questions, selling licenses, filing, directing calls for service to Area 13’s wildlife officers and technicians, and operating the phone systems. The variety of duties will help give the individual a realistic idea of what it looks like to work with CPW.
Essential functions and responsibilities include:
- Managing Irrigation Water
- Work with CPW employees to run irrigation water
- Walk ditches; cleaning and changing tarps
- Keep records of water flows
- Manage State Wildlife Areas
- Work with CPW to maintain State Wildlife Areas
- Clean restrooms and pick up trash
- Replace or fix damaged signs
- Customer Service
- Assist in running Salida Parks and Wildlife Office
- Answer regulation question field calls for field staff
- Answer public needs and questions in a timely manner
- Interested in a career in natural resource management
- Able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs
- Enjoy working outdoors
The successful applicant must be self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision after the initial training period. The applicant must be able to maneuver and operate in a mixture of office and field work. This can include long periods of standing or walking on rough, uneven ground, bending, crouching, and stooping. Prior to starting this position, a government security background clearance will be required.
- High School Diploma or GED
- U.S. Citizenship
- Valid Driver's License or State ID
- Per grant funding, candidate must be between the ages of 18 and 30
- Permanent Resident Card, INS form I-551
- Alien Registration Card, INS form I-551
- A passport indicating that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence
- A departure record (INS 194) indication that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence
- A birth certificate showing that the individual was born in one of the 50 states, the
- District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or the Northern Mariana Islands
- A United States passport
To apply, please submit an updated resume and letter of interest along with the online application.
Contact Cait at email@example.com with any questions.
This position is located in Salida, CO. View the Google Map in full screen.