ALCC Ute Mountain Ute Environmental Programs Department Individual Placement
Title: ALCC Ute Mountain Ute Environmental Programs Department Individual Placement
Dates: 05/30/2022 - 08/12/2022
Term: Full time, 12 weeks with potential for internship extension dependent on funding
Reports To: Ute Mountain Ute Environmental Programs Department
Location: 520 SUNSET BLVD, Towaoc CO 81334
Status: 450 hour AmeriCorps Service Term
Benefits: AmeriCorps Education Award $1,678.57 after successful completion of term
Ancestral Lands Conservation Corps’ (ALCC) Mission
It is the mission of the Ancestral Lands Conservation Corps to lead our nations back to cultural and ecological well being. The Ancestral Lands Conservation Corps is specifically designed to engage Native American youth and young adults. Ancestral Lands Conservation Corps serves local tribal communities in the regions we operate. Native American applicants are preferred.
Ute Mountain Ute Environmental Programs Department Mission:
The intern would work directly with the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe’s Environmental Programs Department (EPD). The mission of this department is to work with communities to conserve resources and protect the environment in order to increase the quality of life for all Tribal Members and future generations of the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe. The intern would assist EPD’s Biology Program, which aims to address the conservation needs of sensitive and tribally important species and landscapes on Ute Mountain Ute tribal lands through research, monitoring, conservation planning, and habitat enhancement.
Indigenous Lands Program: Trees, Water & People: This intern would be further supported by the Fort Collins, Colorado based non profit Trees, Water & People (TWP) Indigenous Lands Program. Our Indigenous Lands Program believes that natural resource management projects that affect the economic, social and cultural lifeways of Indigenous people in the U.S. are most successful when Native people actively participate in their design, leadership, and implementation. We support community based projects across the West and will be supporting this intern both financially and through technical support including GIS and design work on the final cultural harvest plan.
ALCC Ute Mountain Ute Environmental Programs Dept. Individual Placement (IP) Overview:
The intern will be responsible for survey, planning, and development of a Traditional Harvest Plan, with the support of Trees, Water & People, and the Tribe’s Environmental Programs Department. The intern will be involved in community outreach, riparian inventory and mapping, planning, investigation, and writing to support Plan development.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
1) Data Collection for Traditional Harvest Plan Development
- Work with the Tribal community to identify culturally important plants that will be included in a Traditional Harvest Plan
- Inventory cottonwood galleries currently used for traditional harvest
- Inventory other pertinent plant species as identified as important through a community engagement process
- Conduct surveys in cottonwood galleries that are traditionally harvested to assess community composition, structure, maturation class, etc.
2) Traditional Harvest Plan Writing and Distribution
- Organize community outreach event to garner input on Plan
- Identify needs for supplemental (off-reservation) sources for traditional harvest
3) Practical Field Experience including Tamarisk Removal
- Assist with existing restoration projects (tamarisk removal, tree planting)
- Participate in existing restoration projects associated with traditional harvest areas
- Investigate rest/regeneration needs for frequently harvested species
- Associates degree in relative fields, or attending college
- Writing ability
- Comfortable with Microsoft products
- Basic plant ID skills
- Ability to work well on a team
- Ability to work in remote field locations and/or inclement weather conditions
- GIS experience is a big plus,
- Plant Identification
**Applicants must be within the ages of 18-30 due to AmeriCorps age restrictions. Indigenous candidates are preferred.**
This position is located at 520 SUNSET BLVD, Towaoc, CO. View the Google Map in full screen.