Ancestral Lands Conservation Corps Pipestone National Monument Individual Placement
Title: Ancestral Lands Conservation Corps Pipestone National Monument Individual Placement
Dates: 07/26/2021 - 12/31/2021
Term: 23 weeks, full time (part time option maybe available)
Reports To: National Park Service
Location: 36 Reservation Ave Pipestone MN 56164
Status: 900 hour AmeriCorps Service Term
Benefits: AmeriCorps Education Award $3,097.50 after successful completion of term
Ancestral Lands Conservation Corps’ Mission
It is the mission of the Ancestral Lands Conservation Corps to lead our nations back to cultural and ecological well being. The Ancestral Lands Conservation Corps is specifically designed to engage Native American youth and young adults. Ancestral Lands Conservation Corps serves local tribal communities in the regions we operate. Native American applicants are preferred.
AmeriCorps Mission Statement:
AmeriCorps mission statement is “to strengthen communities and develop leaders through direct, team-based direct national and community service.”
National Park Service Mission:
Our Mission The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National Park System for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations.
ALCC Pipestone National Monument Individual Placement (IP) Overview:
Pipestone National Monument has a three-fold purpose: protect the pipestone quarries for use by American Indian people; preserve, protect, and interpret natural and cultural resources; and provide for the benefit and enjoyment of all people. American Indian people have quarried pipestone for countless generations to create pipes used in prayer and ceremony. The entire park is a sacred place to many people. The primary mission of the park Natural Resources Program is the monitoring and protection of the fragile tallgrass prairie ecosystem.
The ALCC Pipestone Individual Placement intern will help in the success of tallgrass prairie restoration, exotic invasive species removal, scientific monitoring, and developing a new pilot program to engage Native American high school students in conservation careers. The remainder of the internship will focus on building relationships with tribal partners, developing opportunities for cultural learning and understanding, identifying obstacles and solutions, and laying the groundwork for future program growth with additional tribal partners.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
This ALCC Pipestone National Monument IP will work to complete tasks and projects outlined below.
1) Assist with natural resources projects including invasive plant management
- Remove invasive plants by hand or mechanical means (machete, clippers, weed wrench, etc.)
- Inventory invasive plant treatments using GIS equipment
2) Program development for future Pipestone Intertribal Prairie Experience (PIPE) utilizing Ancestral Lands Corps model
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders, including Tribal Employment Rights Office contacts, educators, and college program officers
- Draft recommendations and plans for FY21 program, including recruitment, housing, transportation, budget, work plans, learning goals, training, and team-building.
- Advise park managers on culturally relevant structure and programming for PIPE participation
3) Assist with other aspects of park operations, including interpretive programming, special events, maintenance projects, and museum collections care.
- Ability to plan and organize complex projects.
- Strong social and cultural skills to interact effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Written communication skills.
- Interest in biology, ecology, or other environmental fields.
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
Associate or Bachelor's Degree in biology, ecology, or other environmental fields.
**Applicants must be within the ages of 18-30 due to AmeriCorps age restrictions. Native candidates are preferred.**
This position is located at 36 Reservation Ave, Pipestone, MN. View the Google Map in full screen.