The purpose of this position is to provide fire protection, rescue, and emergency medical services to the public.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs firefighting and medical emergency services by extinguishing fires from structures and vehicles, effectively operating equipment, evaluating emergency scenes, delivering medical care to victims, and assisting in hazardous material operations.
- Participates in required training classes and physical fitness.
- Performs daily station activities by completing incident reports and daily logs, entering records of equipment checks and repairs, and maintaining the station house and grounds.
- Provides community services by assisting citizens with questions and fire protection issues, participating in school safety programs, conducting station tours and equipment demonstrations, and educating the public.
- Serves on employee team by assisting in improvements of existing city and departmental policies and functions.
- Performs other similar duties as required
Job Specifications and Qualifications:
- Fire safety and education
- Geography of city
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
- Firefighting standards
Licensing and Certifications:
- Ability to obtain North Carolina Firefighter Failure to obtain by the completion of recruit training may result in termination.
- Ability to obtain North Carolina Emergency Medical Technician certification. Failure to obtain by the completion of recruit training may result in termination.
- Ability to obtain Hazardous Material Awareness and Operations Level Certification. Failure to obtain by the completion of recruit training may result in termination.
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License.
Lateral Entry Requirements:
- North Carolina Firefighter Certification
- ICS 100,200,700 & 800
- North Carolina Emergency Medical Technician certification
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License
- Lateral Entry Applicants must successfully complete a condensed Recruit Training Academy focusing on physical fitness, department operating procedures and NFPA Job Performance Skills evaluations. Failure to successfully complete Lateral Entry Recruit Academy may result in termination or return into a traditional recruit academy format.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must meet the City criteria for an acceptable driving record.
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements:
- Positions in this class require: standing, fine dexterity, walking, lifting, carrying, sitting, reaching, handling, kneeling, crawling, pushing/pulling, climbing, vision, foot controls, balancing, bending, crouching, hearing, twisting and talking.
- Very Heavy: Exerting over 100 pounds occasionally, 50-100 pounds frequently, or from 20 up to 50 pounds constantly.
- Incumbents are subject to extreme temperature, wetness and/or humidity, respiratory hazards, noise and vibration, and physical hazards.
- Incumbents are required to pass the annual Job Performance Requirements (JPR) skills evaluations with a return to duty status, which includes but is not limited to crawling, carrying 50 pounds or more, dragging 170 pounds or more, pushing and pulling 75 pounds or more, climbing 24-foot ladders and exerting 100 pounds of force.
- Mechanical repairs
- Using computers and applicable software applications
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
High school diploma or equivalency and be at least eighteen (18) years of age or older; or the City may consider an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Please be sure to complete the application in full. Resumes may be uploaded with your application but will not be accepted in lieu of a fully completed application and will not be considered for qualifying credit. "See Resume" or "See Attachment" will NOT be accepted.
If multiple applications are submitted to an individual position, only the most recent application received prior to the posting closing date will be accepted. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 PM on the closing date.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account.
Thank you for your interest in the City of Concord Fire Department – Firefighter position. Please note, this application process is open for approximately six months and will close on Friday, March 24, 2022.
Applicants can expect the remaining components of the hiring process to begin four (4) to five months from the close of the application period. Once the application period is closed, applicants who meet the minimal eligibility requirements will be sent an email from the Fire Department outlining the next steps and dates for the remaining components of the hiring process.
The tentative start date of the Recruit Academy will be sometime in 2023, specific dates to follow.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.