The purpose of this position is to operate and transport equipment to assist in construction projects, waste collection, and street cleaning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Transports, sets up, and operates equipment, including, but not limited to: front-end loader, backhoe, knuckle boom, roll off truck, bobcat, rear loader, dump truck, and hydro seeder.
- Performs daily routes to collect waste or clean streets.
- Generates and completes assigned work orders and documents daily activities.
- Completes inspection and/or pre-operational checklist on equipment and requests or performs preventative maintenance and cleaning.
- Provides information to and assists customers.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
Job Specifications and Qualifications
- Construction principles and practices
- Construction equipment and tools
- Equipment operation and maintenance
- Applicable local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations
Licensing and Certifications:
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License
- Valid North Carolina Commercial Driver’s License
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must meet the City criteria for an acceptable driving record.
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements:
- Positions in this class require: standing, fine dexterity, walking, lifting, carrying, sitting, reaching, handling, kneeling, pushing/pulling, climbing, vision, foot controls, balancing, bending, crouching, hearing, twisting, talking.
- Very Heavy: Exerting over 100 pounds occasionally, 50 - 100 pounds frequently, or from 20 up to 50 pounds constantly.
- Incumbents may be subjected to extreme temperature, wetness and/or humidity, respiratory hazards, noise and vibration, physical hazards.
- Reading and interpreting data
- Operating a computer and applicable software applications
- Applying customer service principles
- Operating equipment and tools
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
High school diploma or equivalency, with a minimum of one (1) year of experience; or the City may consider an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.