Deputy Solid Waste & Recycling Director
The purpose of this position is to assist in the day-to-day operations of the department by managing projects, supervising staff, as well as administering and developing the annual budget.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises staff by prioritizing and assigning work, conducting performance evaluations, coordinating personnel actions, ensuring adequate staff training and adherence to policies and procedures, overseeing the maintenance of employee records and files, making hiring, termination and disciplinary recommendations.
- Provides general oversight and direction on projects by developing scope of work, maintaining contracts, meeting with contractors, staff and other City departments, and tracking progress through completion of project using reports, files, schedules and logs.
- Assists Department Director with planning, proposing, monitoring and administering the annual operating budget. Monitors and assesses equipment and resource needs for the department.
- Develops, implements and administers standard operating procedures for the department to ensure compliance with local ordinances.
- Trains staff in Departmental and City policies, procedures, and practices and identifies educational opportunities for staff.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
Job Specifications and Qualifications:
- Supervisory principles
- Project Management principles
- Budgetary principles and practices
- Performance Management programs to identify areas for potential improvements
- Contract Management principles and practices
- Applicable local, state and federal laws, rules, and regulations governing collection, processing and disposal of solid waste
Licensing and Certifications:
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must meet the City criteria for an acceptable driving record.
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements:
- Position in this class require: fine dexterity, vision, standing, walking, sitting, reaching, handling, twisting, talking, lifting, carrying, kneeling, pushing/pulling, climbing, foot controls, balancing, bending, crouching, hearing.
- Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds occasionally or negligible weights frequently; sitting most of the time.
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Ability to plan, assign and coordinate work in an effective manner
- Ability to prepare and present complex information and reports in a clear and concise manner
- Operating a computer and applicable software applications
- Conflict resolution
- Analyzing and interpreting technical and legal information
- Supervising and evaluating staff
- Applying local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and at least five years of field experience; or the City may consider an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.