The purpose of this position is to develop, manage, and maintain the department’s geographic information system and apply principles of comprehensive planning and implementation to operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages and supervises spatial information applications by managing a multi-user system, approving design and implementation of spatial data, presenting systems development and goals to management, and scheduling, managing, reporting, and accepting technical quality of work products.
- Supervises staff by prioritizing and assigning work, conducting performance evaluations, defining scope and monitoring progress of projects, creating and implementing career development processes, and making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Ensures regular reports and records are created and maintained, including census demographics, economic development, residential development, system operations, and mapping.
- Provides technical support by developing the integration of geographic information system and other software applications, performing analysis of geographic information system needs, implementing programs, databases, and maps, and coordinating data entry updates.
- Reviews technology trends to prepare long-range plans and makes budget recommendations for hardware, software, and training.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
Job Specifications and Qualifications:
- Supervisory principles;
- Applicable local, state and federal laws, rules, and regulations;
- GIS systems and technologies;
- GIS programming software;
- Project management principles;
- Mathematical concepts;
- Data management software.
Licensing and Certifications:
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must meet the City criteria for an acceptable driving record.
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements:
- Positions in this class require: standing, fine dexterity, walking, lifting, carrying, sitting, reaching, handling, kneeling, pushing/pulling, climbing, vision, foot controls, bending, crouching, hearing, twisting, talking.
- Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds occasionally, 10 pounds frequently, or negligible amounts constantly AND/OR walking or standing to a significant degree.
- Incumbents may be subjected to physical hazards.
- Supervising and evaluating employees;
- Prioritizing and assigning work;
- Assisting in the direction and management of department operations;
- Operating a computer and applicable software applications;
- Applying local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations;
- Performing mathematical calculations;
- Managing projects;
- Allocating resources;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Associate's degree or diploma from an accredited college, technical, business, vocational, or correspondence school, with at least three (3) years of experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.