Bus Driver - Summer Playgrounds
The purpose of this position is to transport participants to and from specified designations and to ensure their safety while on the bus and throughout the trip. Inspect and report vehicle conditions before and after each trip to make certain all basic safety precautions are addressed. Assist with overseeing participants and their belongings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drives the vehicle to specified destinations in accordance with scheduled tours and events.
- Complies with all traffic regulations. Follows all laws, and all rules, procedures and policies established by the City of Concord/Parks & Recreation Dept. to sustain a high quality of service.
- Evaluates boarding ease to assure passenger safety, provides a ground step and assists passengers entering and exiting the vehicle.
- Regulates heating, lighting and air systems by communicating with passengers for their comfort.
- Returns the vehicle to appropriate parking site fueled and cleaned for next trip.
- Maintains a safe operating vehicle. Inspects the vehicle pre and post-trip. Observes gas, oil, water and air levels; plans for appropriate gas mileage according to destination. Checks all mechanical belts, bolts and parts in the engine compartment. Inspects all seats and isles for trash, participant belongings and loose bus parts (arm rests). Coordinates with direct supervisor on washing the vehicle.
- Assist with overseeing participants and their belongings; functions as a leader amongst participants on and off the bus. Addresses participants who are not being attended to. Assists in loading and unloading belongings from baggage compartments.
- Parks where loading and unloading is safe and easy.
- Ensures compartments are cleared and/or organized prior to each trip.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
Job Specifications and Qualifications:
- Safe driving practices
- Commercial vehicle operation and maintenance
- Cleaning procedures and practices
- Applicable local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations
Licensing and Certifications:
- Valid North Carolina Commercial Driver’s License "Class B” with “P” endorsement.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must meet the City criteria for an acceptable driving record.
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements:
- Positions in this class require: standing, walking, lifting, carrying, sitting, reaching, kneeling, pushing/pulling, climbing, vision, foot controls, balancing, bending, crouching, hearing, talking.
- Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds occasionally, 10 pounds frequently, or negligible amounts constantly AND/OR walking or standing to a significant degree.
- Incumbents may be subjected to extreme temperature, wetness and/or humidity, respiratory hazards, physical hazards.
- Operating a commercial vehicle
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.