We are seeking a Controller to join our team.
Summary of the Job:
The Controller will lead, manage and motivate accounting team members to provide operational and financial information and reports for the agency on an accurate and timely basis so that management may make insightful decisions regarding agency operations (i.e., improving operational efficiency and profitability). They will maintain standard industry internal control systems to ensure the safeguarding of all company assets and financial information. This role will also assist operations in their effort to ensure that the established financial goals of the company are met or exceeded. The Controller will promote an atmosphere of doing “the right thing” by modeling and communicating the company’s mission, vision and values.
In addition, this role is responsible to support business improvement effectively and efficiently by overseeing, leading and directing the management of their team through effective planning, organizing, coordinating, measuring and staffing in support of departmental and agency goals and objectives.
- Ensures timely completion of month-end, quarter-end and year-end close processes.
- Review monthly expenses to ensure all invoices have been processed or accrued as needed.
- Review account reconciliations monthly to ensure balances are correct.
- Review AR balances weekly and following up on past due balances as needed.
- Learn and maintain working knowledge of the fee, production billing, and media systems.
- Review and verify accuracy of monthly financial statements.
- Ensure compliance with GAAP and SEC reporting requirements.
- Oversee accounting processes and internal controls and update as needed.
- Drive continuous improvement where appropriate.
- Manage the internal and external audit process.
- Overseeing payroll processing and preparing monthly payroll journal entries.
- Preparing monthly salary report by department.
- Review and submit annual bonus amounts for payment to payroll shared services.
- Oversee employee role assignment, billing rate, status for employees.
- Review missing time and follow up as needed.
- Review semi-monthly payroll registers for accuracy.
- Prepare income calculations and revenue entries for selected clients.
- Work with account management to ensure accuracy of client revenue calculations.
- Review revenue by client for all clients to confirm accuracy.
- Prepare monthly revenue forecast by client and billing forecast quarterly.
- Update system rate card by position annually.
- Request and monitor client credit limits.
- Maintain working capital client portal as needed.
- Corporate reporting: agency is a wholly owned subsidiary of parent corp. IPG (i.e., SEC compliant).
- Other duties as assigned.
What We Believe:
We believe that when the best of strategy and creativity come together, brands stand apart.
Our Hiring Philosophy:
Carmichael Lynch is committed to creating a diverse, safe and welcoming workplace with opportunity for all. We strive for inclusion, equity and diversity in both our words and actions. BIPOC, women, marginalized communities, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. To learn more, please visit: https://www.carmichaellynch.com/about/
What’s In It for You:
- Professional Development (performance reviews 2x annually, training opportunities related to your field of development, one-on-ones with managers, etc.)
- We offer competitive, equitable salaries (reviewed annually to ensure equity and competitiveness)
- A strong, vibrant, continually-evolving Diversity, Equity and Inclusion belief (in thought and action), encompassing our agency and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs). Recognizing the voices that need to be heard.
- Competitive, company and employee sponsored benefits, including: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k (company matched 50% of first 6%), PTO (vacation/sick time) allowance, 18-week maternity leave, 12-week parental leave, 19 paid company holidays, Family Building Benefit (adoption, surrogacy benefit), tuition reimbursement and much more.
NOTE: While being located in Minneapolis will help with your success in this role, we are still working hybrid (in/out of office).
Required Qualifications, Experience & Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- A minimum of 10 years of accounting experience with progressive managerial responsibilities with strong analytical skills.
- Previous supervisory experience required.
- Payroll experience preferred.
- Previous agency experience preferred.
- SAP experience preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft office products.
- Strong collaboration, delegation, and team building skills
- Nurture and mentor a culture of strong, positive, creative, productive and loyal team members
- Results driven, accountable
- Strong leadership skills including motivation and coaching skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage personal and team workload effectively
- Analytical with a strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills for presentations to senior management as well as constant interaction with the parent company
- Team player who portrays a service driven attitude
- Desire and ability to work independently
- Able to problem solve and develop creative solutions