Events Manager - Conferencing Office
At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers in government, international institutions, the private sector, and civil society. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of more than 200 employees working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
This position is located in our Washington, DC office. You will be expected to be onsite Monday-Friday.
The events staff is responsible for responding to all aspects of events at CSIS.
• Flexible schedule required
• Provides administrative support to all conferencing and banquet staff; ensures staff are adequately prepared for each event
• Responds to general inquiries from employees concerning CSIS events
• Schedules use of conference rooms in the Events Management System
• Analyzes and confirms room setups for events and meetings
• Records and communicates food and beverage orders for CSIS events
• Reserves hotels and transportation for CSIS guests
• Interacts with staff at difference stages of the event management process i.e., initial planning, execution, and day of coordination
• Observes ongoing events to ensure they are running smoothly
• Communicates with the Membership Groups department to finalize needs of external client events
• Calculates budgets and adjust when necessary in coordination with program staff
• Contributes to planning of annual employee events
• Enters invoices and receipts into Concur and ReqLogic
• Trains new staff on how to use the Events Management System
• Assists with any special tasks, presentations, projects, and reports
• Performs a variety of other conferencing duties as assigned
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
Provide support to CSIS programs for events and meetings from inception to fruition.
• Report to the Director of Conferences & Building Operations; work closely with the Deputy Director to assist with the details and execution of all events by communicating with program coordinators, and event staff.
• Monitor ongoing events to ensure all is running smoothly and the event is successful.
Manage the Event Management Software (EMS).
• Confirm and update room requests and existing reservations to maximize event capacity.
• Input event needs, including but not limited to: food and beverage service, equipment needs, AV requirements, event timing and layout, security and parking requests.
• Review and send EMS reports every evening listing the events and meetings for the next three days to those working closely with the Conferencing Office.
• Run daily event meetings to finalize event details.
Communicate with vendors and partners for services required by programs.
• Contact, update, and keep record of catering and equipment orders from multiple vendors.
• Assist with reserving hotel and transportation accommodations.
• Finalize catering, staffing and equipment costs and input invoices into EMS to help with correct billing and invoicing practices.
Work closely with other departments to help produce successful events.
• Manage the ER events calendar
• Communicate with ER Coordinators and the Congressional Affairs Associate to report any media or high level guests expected to be in attendance.
• Assist the Membership Groups’ team with specifying logistical information for external group events.
• Remain in contact with the AV and iLAB teams to confirm and update technical details requested by the programs.
Perform additional general tasks that assist with the productivity of the Conferencing team.
• Assist the Banquet Supervisor and Banquet Coordinators when needed.
• Monitor beverage/kitchen supplies and reorder when necessary.
• Assist Director with planning the CSIS holiday party.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Preference will be given to candidates enrolled in a related program, or has related experience and background of at least two years
• Two to four years of conferencing experience
• Knowledge of EMS (Event Management Systems), Concur Solutions, ReqLogic preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to provide strong customer service
• Excellent interpersonal skills required
• Able to exercise effective judgment, sensitivity, creativity to changing needs and situations
• Must be detail-oriented, well-organized, with the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
• Ability to work well individually and in a team environment
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Performances of duties require the use of hands and fingers to handle or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter at https://careers.csis.org/.