2024 Summer Construction Operations Internship - Cloquet MN
HOW YOUR ROLE FITS INTO BOLDT:
Ready to thrive and begin to build an extraordinary career?! This internship or co-op is a project – based, educational opportunity intended to prepare students to enter in one the following professions within the construction or pre-construction industry:
- Field Engineer/Project Engineer/Safety
You will spend time learning about Boldt’s approach to gain real-world experience by accomplishing some of the same responsibilities as our full-time employees. Our on-the-job experience will help prepare you for a successful career after graduation. Multiple internship and co-op opportunities available based on business needs!
What you get to do:
We offer a variety of construction internship types. Based on your professional career interests, skills, and experiences, you may qualify for one/or more of the following internship emphasis areas:
- Interpret design/drawings for crafts installing material. Prepare drawings and sketches to support construction work, change orders, estimates, etc. Coordinate work schedules with subcontractors too complete work on time. Verify all completed work stays in sync with applicable codes, drawings, specifications. Establish exterior/interior grade and working lines for contractors or crafts.
- Assist in controlling hazardous working conditions and unsafe employee activities through interactions with project management/supervisory personnel. Accompany safety, health and insurance inspections on walk through tours as required. Document all accidents, safety violations, unsafe conditions/activities. Issue confined area entry and “hot work” permits as required. Assist in preparing written appeals for safety violation citations.
- Conduct work area surveillance inspections, air sampling tests for confined space entry, property, damage and personal injury investigations. Review safety related journals, catalogues, etc. to keep tabs on changes/improvements in protective safety equipment, materials and gear. Participate in developing and conducting staff and craft safety orientation training program. Assist in supervision and administration of safety/first aid and rescue squad activities.
What we expect from you:
- Currently enrolled at an accredited college or university as a Junior or Senior in an undergraduate program. Preferred majors/concentrations in Construction Management, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or related fields. Evidence of high academic achievement with current or prior elected leadership experience preferred. Passion and desire to work in the construction industry. Prior work experience, internship, or trade experience preferred, but not required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 and ability to work optimally with minimum supervision.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to position objects and operate tools or controls. Employee occasionally uses computer keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to position self to maneuver in confined or awkward spaces. The employee regularly is required to remain in a stationary position and move to access people or machinery or workspaces. Employee is occasionally required to ascend and/or descend a ladder or stairs to reach work areas. The employee must regularly move up to 20 pounds and occasionally move up to 50 pounds. The employee is regularly required to travel (as vehicle driver and as passenger on various modes of transportation) and frequently performs work on-site at construction work sites. Specific abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee views computer monitor regularly. The employee is required to be able to effectively communicate while on the job site and throughout the completion of duties.
The working conditions of this position requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to maintain safety and prevent exposure to harmful materials. The environment for which this position functions may be exposed to prolonged loud noises and may contain scents and fragrances. May be requested to work overtime and weekends.
The Boldt Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description is intended to be a summary of the primary essential duties and responsibilities of this position. The job description is not intended to be inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or all the qualifications that may be required either now or in the future. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or changed at any time.
Individuals in this role may be subject to annual Motor Vehicle Records check. Outcome of any MVR checks conducted may negatively impact the persons’ ability to participate in any vehicle program provided by the company, including but not limited to the ability to drive a personal vehicle on behalf of the Boldt Company or rent a vehicle through the Boldt Company travel provider, for a period of up to 1 year