Senior Industrial Estimator
Who we are:
Build your career with Boldt. As a member of the Boldt team, you’ll collaborate with some of the most knowledgeable professionals in the construction industry. You’ll have the chance to learn new skills and seek greater responsibilities with a team that builds real value in the world around you. You’ll succeed in a workplace culture that recognizes, respects, and values differences. Boldt’s focus on innovation, collaboration, and employee development provides an opportunity for all our employees to Build Boldly.
How your role fits into Boldt:
The Senior Industrial Estimator will provide estimating services and expertise for the industrial construction market sector by utilizing a variety of contract delivery methods with the goal of creating estimates that foster success through a OneBoldt approach while returning the planned profit to the company.
Responsibilities include preparing, planning, organizing, and evaluating estimates, along with being engaged in the Target Value Design process to submit bids and responses to proposals. This role will be responsible for coordinating and oversight of internal and external estimating resources and will provide direction based on principles that support a collaborative and integrated project delivery environment along with traditional estimating processes.
What you get to do:
- Perform estimating activities for a multitude of projects, large and small, for the industrial market sector, both in negotiated and hard bid.
- Review drawings, specifications, and owner documents to establish scope of work contents for estimate and other respective deliverables. Attend pre-bid and project meetings. Prepare RFI's and collaborate with architecture and engineering firms to confirm document interpretation. Ensure proper evaluation and documentation of project scope is
- Prepare detailed as well as conceptual estimates, which may include working with our internal self-perform group to scope project, create bid list of subcontractors, trade partners and suppliers and ensure appropriate coverage with those
- Develop conceptual estimates utilizing preliminary engineering information like piping and instrumentation design (P&IDs), equipment lists, general arrangements, commodity quantities, etc. Perform labor and material takeoffs required for the estimates they have been assigned This includes Self-performed Trades including Concrete, Steel, Equipment Setting/Alignment/Grouting, and Boilermaker and Millwright scopes. This person also needs to understand how to price and oversee piping trade partner pricing.
- Prepare and review documents for the specific
- Participate in the presentation of project estimates to project Owners and other partners. Lead internal and external
- Complete the bidding process including bid solicitation, bidders’ communications, proposals evaluations, and bid evaluation. Review and final acceptance of all bids.
- Oversee bid package development include division of responsibilities (DOR’s) and analyze piping, insulation, and electrical and instrumentation packages for thoroughness and accuracy.
- Responsible to establish acceptable design options and best solutions based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of
- Understand how to execute industrial projects in order to develop construction equipment and project staff plans to support the
- Develop and maintain client, design partners, subcontractors, suppliers, external customers relationships.
- Provide technical support and guidance to estimating staff in preparing estimates for all Leads specific project assignment and provides guidance to other estimators assigned to other projects in the preparation of all estimating and target value design functions for projects including establishing reporting formats, assignment of areas of estimating responsibility, compiling estimates, preparation, and oversight of project estimates.
- Provide the guidance and oversight for completeness of all estimate material and construction equipment required to perform work. Establishes and confirms union labor costs for the
- Manage Bid Solicitation process including management of bid documents and Instructions to Bidders. Guides the process to successfully procure and analyze bids. Supports buyout and smooth transition of turn-over to project managers and ensures subcontractors are prequalified prior to bidding and contracting with
- Assist project managers and financial managers in the continuous assessment of project risks and opportunities and how it relates to the overall project cost. Consolidate all risk and opportunities and integrate to the overall project cost. This includes assisting project and financial managers in reviewing monthly trade partner cost reports and labor reports and identify variances from the original
- Prepare Strategic Project Qualification (SPQ) to analyze project from a risk mitigation standpoint.
- Confirm insurance requirements with legal and
- Incorporates the appropriate Target Value and other dashboard metrics required to monitor the evolution of the conceptual estimate / cost
- Ability to mentor and give direction to less experienced estimators to assist in their development.
- Upload estimate to Organize all estimating documents, deliverables and contract exhibits and attachments required for construction.
- Maintain consistent working knowledge and experience of all labor rates, self-perform productivities, and crew Uses the labor rate app. Monitor and adjust productivities and crew mixes based upon actual field feedback.
What we expect from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering or other related degree required. Equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related experience considered in lieu of a degree.
- Five to eight years of estimating experience required.
- Knowledge of estimating processes and the labor, material, equipment, subcontracting, general conditions and requirements, insurances, fees, permits, contingencies, and all other aspects to complete an estimate and scope of work
- Experience in conceptual estimating.
- Experience understanding of Site and Building System, Assemblies and Components of each.
- The ability to coordinate support individual work effort is crucial.
- Experience in Negotiated Guarantee Maximum Price (GMP) as well as Lump Sum (Hard) Bid type of projects.
- Understanding and proficiency of construction coding in MasterFormat and Uniformat.
- A strong understanding of excel spreadsheets, database-based software (WinEst), take-off software (On-Center - On Screen Takeoff) scheduling software (Microsoft Project or Primivera) required.
- Familiarity with BIM tools, such as REVIT and/or Vico, is preferred.
Physical requirements and working conditions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position for up to eight hours. The employee occasionally is required to move to access people or workspaces. Constantly operates a computer and other office equipment, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer. The ability to effectively communicate is required. The employee may occasionally move up to 15 pounds.
The working conditions of this position requires the employee to work inside an office environment. The environment for which this position functions may contain scents and fragrances. May be requested to work overtime and weekends.
What we can offer you:
As an employee owned organization, along with a culture built around safety and team collaboration, we offer a variety of employee benefits. In addition to the standard health, 401K, and paid time off benefits, we also offer:
- An Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) to share in the company’s success along with an annual bonus based on overall company performance
- Wellness resources, including a health mentor, health assessments, maternity management, wellness challenges and life care
- Have equal access to opportunities and resources at all levels of the company
- Opportunity to grow and persevere including educational reimbursement
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion training programs
- Mentorship program
- Community engagement opportunities and Paid Volunteer time off
The Boldt Company is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please contact our Human Resources department.
The Boldt Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from third party recruiters.