Senior Estimator - Construction
Who we are:
Honesty, fairness, hard work, performance, and the love of construction. At Boldt, these are the values that drive us. They push us to be better every day. To provide the highest-quality service and greatest value to every project we’re a part of. We’re looking for forward thinking people who share in that dedication. An innovative and bold spirit, performance thinking, and a dedication to our values have helped us grow into a national leader in markets as diverse as healthcare, industrial, education, and renewable energy.
As a member of the Boldt team, you’ll collaborate with some of the most knowledgeable professionals in our industry. You’ll have the chance to learn new skills and seek greater responsibilities, while earning competitive pay and benefits. And you’ll join a team that builds real value in the world around you.
How your role fits into Boldt:
The Senior Estimator will provide estimating services and expertise for Boldt's Power and Industrial team and contract delivery methods with the goal of creating estimates that champion success through a OneBoldt approach while returning the planned profit to the company.
Responsibilities include preparing, planning, organizing, and evaluating estimates, along with being engaged in the Target Value Design process to submit bids and responses to proposals. This role will be responsible for coordinating and oversight of internal and external estimating resources and will provide direction based on principles that support a team and integrated project delivery environment along with traditional estimating processes.
What you get to do:
- Perform estimating activities for a multitude of projects, large and small, across a variety of market sectors, both in negotiated and hard bid.
- Review drawings, specifications and owner documents to establish scope of work contents for estimate and other respective deliverables. Attend pre-bid and project meetings. Prepare RFI's and collaborate with architecture and engineering firms to confirm document interpretation. Ensure proper evaluation and documentation of project scope is complete.
- Prepare detailed as well as conceptual estimates, which may include working with self-perform to scope project, create bid list of subcontractors, trade partners and suppliers and ensure appropriate coverage with those groups.
- Perform takeoffs required for the estimates they have been assigned to. This includes Self-performed Trades including Concrete, Masonry, Steel, Carpentry, Drywall and Millwright work. Uses OnCenter and Coordinates requirements for BIM generated quantification. The use of BIM generated takeoff using Vico is preferred.
- Prepare and review documents for the specific deliverable.
- Participate in the presentation of project estimates to project Owners and other partners. Lead internal and external meetings.
- Complete the bidding process including bid solicitation, bidders’ communications, proposals evaluations, and bid evaluation. Review and final acceptance of all bids.
- Responsible to establish acceptable design options and best solutions based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials.
- Develops and maintain client, design partners, subcontractors, suppliers, external customers relationships.
- Provide technical support and guidance to estimating staff in preparing estimates for all projects. Leads specific project assignment and provides guidance to other estimators assigned to other projects in the preparation of all estimating and target value design functions for projects including establishing reporting formats, assignment of areas of estimating responsibility, compiling estimates, preparation, and oversight of project estimates.
- Provide the guidance and oversight for completeness of all estimate material and construction equipment required to perform work. Establishes and confirms union labor costs for the project.
- Manage Bid Solicitation process including management of bid documents and Instructions to Bidders. Guides the process to optimally procure and analyze bids. Supports buyout and smooth transition of turn-over to project managers and ensures subcontractors are prequalified prior to bidding and contracting with Boldt.
- Assist project managers and financial manager in the continuous assessment of project risks and opportunities and how it relates to the overall project cost. Consolidate all risk and opportunities and integrate to the overall project cost. This includes assisting project and financial managers in reviewing monthly trade partner cost reports and labor reports and identify variances from the original estimate.
- Prepare Strategic Project Qualification (SPQ) to analyze project from a risk mitigation standpoint.
- Prepare conceptual estimates and cost models using Building Catalyst and Modelogix. Incorporates the appropriate Target Value and other dashboard metrics required to supervise the evolution of the conceptual estimate / cost model.
- Ability to mentor and give direction to less experienced estimators to assist in their development.
- Maintain consistent proven understanding and experience of all labor rates, self-perform productivities, and crew mixes. Uses the labor rate app. Monitor and adjust productivities and crew mixes based upon actual field feedback.
What we expect from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering or other related degree required. Equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related experience considered in lieu of a degree.
- At least ten years of estimating experience required.
- IPD (Integrated Project Delivery) and TVD (Target Value Design) experience preferred.
- Wide variety of experience with Site and Building System, Assemblies and Components of each.
- The ability to coordinate group work effort is imperative.
- Wide variety of experience in Negotiated Guarantee Maximum Price (GMP) as well as Lump Sum (Hard) Bid type of projects.
- A strong understanding of excel spreadsheets, database-based software (WinEst), take-off software (On-Center - On Screen Takeoff) scheduling software (Microsoft Project or Primivera) preferred.
- Familiarity with BIM tools, such as REVIT and/or Vico, is preferred.
Physical requirements and working conditions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position for up to eight hours. The employee occasionally is required to move to access people or workspaces. Constantly operates a computer and other office equipment, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer. The ability to optimally communicate is required. The employee may occasionally move up to 15 pounds.
The working conditions of this position requires the employee to work inside an office environment. The environment for which this position functions may contain scents and fragrances. May be requested to work overtime and weekends.
What we can offer you:
We are a multi- generational family owned, privately held organization. Along with encouraging a safe and robust team based environment, we offer:
- A competitive wage with a comprehensive medical, prescription drug, dental and vision benefits without a waiting period
- An Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) to share in the company’s success along with an annual bonus based on overall company performance
- Paid vacation, sick and holidays
- Hybrid work schedule
- Company Provided Insurance (STD, LTD and Group Life Insurance)
- Wellness resources, including a health mentor, health assessments, maternity management, wellness challenges and life care
- Relocation assistance
- Have equal access to opportunities and resources at all levels of the company. Opportunity to grow and persevere including educational reimbursement
- Diversity and inclusion training programs
- Mentorship program
- Community engagement opportunities and Paid Volunteer time off
The Boldt Company is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please contact our Human Resources department.
This position is located in Appleton, WI. View the Google Map in full screen.