Who we are:
Honesty, fairness, hard work, performance, and the love of construction. At Boldt, these are the values that drive us. They push us to be better every day. To provide the highest-quality service and greatest value to every project we’re a part of. We’re looking for forward thinking people who share in that dedication. An innovative and bold spirit, performance thinking, and a dedication to our values have helped us grow into a national leader in markets as diverse as healthcare, industrial, education, and renewable energy.
As a member of the Boldt team, you’ll collaborate with some of the most knowledgeable professionals in our industry. You’ll have the chance to learn new skills and seek greater responsibilities, while earning competitive pay and benefits. And you’ll join a team that builds real value in the world around you.
How your role fits into Boldt:
As a Design Manager for the Boldt Company, you will provide design leadership to coordinate and integrate project design activities and communication with our construction team and trade partners. This role is an important partner in helping us maintain our commitments to our customers and partners. This role will collaborate with our architectural and engineering consultants, internal design resources, and Boldt’s operations team to ensure effective integration and coordination throughout design and preconstruction. The Design Manager ensures successful preconstruction services by defining work, developing and managing a coordinated preconstruction schedule, integrating construction inputs and reviews (including estimating, constructability, prefabrication and modularization, safety and quality) to achieve a design that is developed within budget with outstanding constructability. This role will also be responsible for earned value management so that design services are provided within budget.
What you get to do:
- Provide overall leadership for our preconstruction services, including project development and design. This includes developing an effective VDC/BIM strategy and integrating VDC/BIM services.
- Collaborate with our project delivery partners to define clear roles and responsibilities for all functions during the design and preconstruction phase of the project. Develop a team relationship among the owner, Boldt, and partners such as architects, engineers, and trade contractors.
- Support development of our procurement plan and contract documents for our design and preconstruction services partners and provide ongoing contract management for design-phase contracts.
- Lead and establish the overall approach for design and identify and acquire internal and external resources to support the design.
- Develop Target Value Design (TVD) plan, including team formation, allocation of design scope, budgets, and schedules, including design integration and review. Honesty and fairness. Hard work and performance. A love for construction. At Boldt, these are the values that drive us.
- Implement system to document, analyze, and resolve innovations, risks, opportunities, and issues.
- Initiate and coordinate owner and internal design meetings as the need arises.
- Lead all aspects of development of a coordinated document management and document control program for the design and preconstruction phase that conforms with our standards for file organization and structure.
- Coordinate development of workflows for development of design work and applicable construction administration efforts, including submittals, shop drawings, information requests, changes, inspections, commissioning, O&M materials, and similar efforts.
- Develop and lead collaborative systems to manage decision-making, budget, scope, schedule, and quality for all design work, including Boldt internal design efforts for assigned project.
- Coordinate the use of the Boldt Production System (BPS) to plan and manage the team’s work to achieve landmarks reflected in the design phase schedule.
- Be responsible for identification and integration of the requirements of all agencies having jurisdiction over the project, including local/federal laws and regulations, building codes, environmental, entitlements, and permitting requirements.
- Provide leadership for clarification and definition of owner value requirements, align with owner’s contract requirements, and monitor project compliance with those requirements, project procedures, and Boldt's standard procedures.
- Partner with the owner to promote evaluation of design alternatives, as part of the TVD process.
- Lead regular internal and external project meetings as needed.
- Prepare Monthly Project Progress Reports for Boldt management as needed.
- Lead all aspects of the completion of Project Start-Up Planner (PSP) during project start up and be responsible for development of work under the PSP.
What we expect from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management (Professional certification preferred).
- Ten plus years' of experience managing and coordinating design subject areas and managing large engineering/construction projects.
- Experience working with Consulting Engineers and construction companies in project execution.
- Good understanding of the technical aspects of all building systems.
- Understanding of design, construction and operations and legal perspective of design.
- Professional Engineer or Registered Architect preferred.
- DBIA Design Management certification preferred.
- Lean Design and Target Value Design (TVD) experience preferred
Physical requirements and working conditions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position for up to eight hours. The employee occasionally is required to move to access people or workspaces. Constantly operates a computer and other office equipment, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer. The ability to optimally communicate is required. The employee may occasionally move up to 15 pounds.
The working conditions of this position requires the employee to work inside an office environment. The environment for which this position functions may contain scents and fragrances. May be requested to work outside of normal hours if needs arise.
What we can offer you:
We are a multi- generational family owned, privately held organization. Along with encouraging a safe and robust team based environment, we offer:
- A competitive wage with a comprehensive medical, prescription drug, dental and vision benefits without a waiting period
- An Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) to share in the company’s success along with an annual bonus based on overall company performance
- Paid vacation, sick and holidays
- Company Provided Insurance (STD, LTD and Group Life Insurance)
- Wellness resources, including a health mentor, health assessments, maternity management, wellness challenges and life care
- Relocation assistance
- Have equal access to opportunities and resources at all levels of the company. Opportunity to grow and persevere including educational reimbursement
- Diversity and inclusion training programs
- Mentorship program
- Community engagement opportunities and Paid Volunteer time off
The Boldt Company is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please contact our Human Resources department.
This position is located at 2525 N Roemer Road, Appleton, WI. View the Google Map in full screen.