Estimator II - Construction Industry
Who we are:
Honesty, fairness, hard work, performance, and the love of construction. At Boldt, these are the values that drive us. They push us to be better every day. To provide the highest-quality service and greatest value to every project we’re a part of. We’re looking for forward thinking people who share in that dedication. An innovative and bold spirit, performance thinking, and a dedication to our values have helped us grow into a national leader in markets as diverse as healthcare, industrial, education, and renewable energy.
As a member of the Boldt team, you’ll collaborate with some of the most knowledgeable professionals in our industry. You’ll have the chance to learn new skills and seek greater responsibilities, while earning competitive pay and benefits. And you’ll join a team that builds real value in the world around you.
How your role fits into Boldt:
The Estimator II will provide estimating services and expertise for a variety of market sectors and contract delivery methods with the goal of creating estimates that cultivate success through a OneBoldt approach while returning the planned profit to the company. Responsibilities include preparing, planning, organizing, and evaluating estimates, along with being engaged in the Target Value Design process to submit bids and responses to proposals. This position will be responsible for coordinating and oversight of internal and external estimating resources.
What you get to do:
- Assist and independently prepares estimates and other deliverables and responsibilities required for such. Supports hard bid process.
- Review drawings, specifications and owner documents to establish scope of work contents for estimate and other respective deliverables. Attend pre-bid and project meetings. Support specific and assigned component of RFI's.
- Prepare detailed estimates which may include self- perform. May assist in crafting bid list of subcontractors, trade partners and suppliers and ensure appropriate coverage with those groups.
- Perform takeoffs required for the estimates they have been assigned to. This may include Self-performed Trades. Uses OnCenter and Coordinates requirements for BIM generated quantification.
- Work with the project team to finalize documents for the specific output.
- Participate in the presentation of estimates to project Owners and other partners.
- Assist and support the bidding process including bid solicitation, bidders’ communications, proposals evaluations, and bid evaluation.
- Assist in the of development of design options and forecasting best solutions based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials.
- Support all estimating and target value design functions for projects including establishing reporting formats, assignment of areas of estimating responsibility, compiling estimates, preparation, and oversight of project estimates.
- Evaluate the material and construction equipment required to perform work. Understand union labor costs for the project.
- Lead Bid Solicitation process including management of bid documents and Instructions to Bidders. Helps guide the process to successfully procure and analyze bids. Helps confirm subcontractors are prequalified prior to bidding and contracting with Boldt.
- Assist project managers and financial manager in the continuous assessment of project risks and opportunities and how it relates to the overall project cost. Consolidate all risk and opportunities and integrate to the overall project cost.
- Prepare Strategic Project Qualification (SPQ) to analyze project from a risk mitigation standpoint.
- Confirm insurance requirements with legal and underwriting.
- Establish parameters required for initial conceptual estimates and cost modeling.
- Possess the traits that support a coordinated environment with a team-player attitude.
- Upload estimates to system. Assist with the organization and procurement of all estimating documents, deliverables and contract exhibits and attachments required for construction.
- Expand knowledge and use of all labor rates, self-perform productivities, and crew mixes. Learns and uses the labor rate app.
- Other duties, responsibilities, or activities may be assigned at any time.
What we expect from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering or other related degree required. Equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related experience considered in lieu of a degree.
- Two to five years of estimating experience required.
- Experience in the preparation of a complete estimate and all aspects required to complete and estimate and supporting documents.
- Exposure to conceptual estimating.
- Exposure to Site and Building Systems, Assemblies and components of each.
- Exposure to self-performed estimating which relies on productivity, labor, crew, equipment and material.
- Exposure to Negotiated Guarantee Maximum Price (GMP) as well as Lump Sum (Hard) Bid types of projects.
- Understanding and proficiency of construction coding in MasterFormat and Uniformat.
- A strong understanding of excel spreadsheets, database-based software (WinEst), take-off software (On-Center - On Screen Takeoff) scheduling software (Microsoft Project or Primivera) preferred.
- Familiarity with BIM tools, such as REVIT and/or Vico, is preferred.
Physical requirements and working conditions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position for up to eight hours. The employee occasionally is required to move to access people or workspaces. Constantly operates a computer and other office equipment, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer. The ability to optimally communicate is required. The employee may occasionally move up to 15 pounds.
The working conditions of this position requires the employee to work inside an office environment. The environment for which this position functions may contain scents and fragrances. May be requested to work longer hours and weekends.
What we can offer you:
We are a multi- generational family owned, privately held organization. Along with encouraging a safe and robust team based environment, we offer:
- A competitive wage with a comprehensive medical, prescription drug, dental and vision benefits without a waiting period
- An Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) to share in the company’s success along with an annual bonus based on overall company performance
- Paid vacation, sick and holidays
- Hybrid work schedule
- Wellness resources, including a health mentor, health assessments, maternity management, and life care
- Relocation assistance
- Have equal access to opportunities and resources at all levels of the company. Opportunity to grow and persevere including educational reimbursement
- Diversity and inclusion training programs
- Mentorship program
- Community engagement
The Boldt Company is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please contact our Human Resources department.
This position is located in Appleton, WI. View the Google Map in full screen.