Director of Sustainability
If you are looking for an impactful career opportunity with a growing global company who wants to challenge the conventional for a sustainable future —look no further. Verso has merged with BillerudKorsnӓs (now Billerud) to become Billerud NA, a leading sustainable packaging materials and paper company. Billerud is passionately committed to sustainability. You can feel good about the products we make because paper is sustainable at multiple levels. Paper is made from trees, one of earth’s most renewable resources harvested from sustainably managed forests, and it is highly recyclable and recycled.
At Billerud, you can reach your full potential—and help us reach ours. Come build a better future with us!
The Sustainability Director is a critical part of the integration and development of Billerud’s commitment to sustainability in North America. The corporate sustainability philosophy is highly focused not only on climate and circular economy, but also includes creating and maintaining a responsible supply chain, accountability to customers, commitment to diversity and environmental stewardship, strong government relations and safety. As the Sustainability Director, your focus will be on researching and analyzing sustainability data by collaborating with global leaders from multiple functional areas of the business to obtain information on and help develop key company initiatives. You will be expected to foster strong relationships with (a) customers to understand how Billerud’s innovation can create solutions to challenge conventional packaging for a sustainable future, (b) suppliers to drive sustainability needs for our products and sustainability initiatives, and (c) government agencies and advisors to facilitate compliance with sustainability regulations and laws and seek government incentives and funding where appropriate. In this forward-thinking role, you will work within all aspects of sustainability (environment, social and economic) with responsibility to implement the corporate sustainability philosophy in North America.
- Promote and lead a safe work environment.
- Drive continuous improvement in and integration of the Sustainability platform across Billerud NA.
- Work closely with (dotted line to) Billerud Corporate (Sweden) Sustainability team, and drive and coordinate the corporate sustainability work in Billerud NA, including actively working with other functional areas to develop and implement the roadmap for CO2 emission reduction in Billerud NA.
- Contribute to the production of the Billerud Corporate (NA and Global) Annual and Sustainability Reports.
- Contribute in the reporting to external sustainability indices such as the Dow Jones Sustainability Index and CDP.
- Understand and oversee all customer and supplier sustainability tools, assessments, and testing.
- Serve as the key contact for all stakeholder sustainability questions and inquiries (employees, customers, investors, etc).
- Support other functional groups (e.g., wood supply, HR, ISO certifications, safety, etc.) on related programs (Responsible Wood Harvesting and forestry certifications, HR sustainability goals, food certifications, etc.).
- Promote and explain Billerud’s NA sustainability philosophy to internal and external audiences.
- Understand and lead research and analysis of science-based targets to develop corporate sustainability strategies.
- Actively participate in industry organizations, e.g. AF&PA, through sustainability and other related committees and work groups.
- Work with and support the Billerud NA Leadership Team, the Environmental, Health and Safety Teams, and Operational Teams at the Escanaba, Quinnesec and Wisconsin Rapids facilities with the objective of achieving full compliance and zero incidents.
- Evaluate the company’s and other stakeholders’ needs for information regarding sustainability.
- Lead internal and external sustainability communication, including attending and speaking at public events where appropriate.
- Assist in monitoring legislative issues and public affairs.
- Foster and encourage teamwork relationships between the mills.
- The individual must be results oriented with a desire to make things better. This requires both critical thinking skills and the ability to translate those into action that drives results.
- Team Orientation is doing what is best for the organization foremost, by providing value and a solid contribution. This role is about working to achieve team and business goals.
- Due to the large number of internal and external stakeholders, the individual filling this role must have the ability to communicate effectively to direct and motivate others with a very credible and persuasive presentation style. The job requires the ability to build relationships and develop consensus across a broad range of people and personalities. Strong ability to influence without direct control.
- Sustainability is important and a business priority. As our business continues to grow in North America, this role may have frequent changes of priorities. A tolerance for ambiguity is necessary at times.
- Possess a strong interest in sustainability topics, such as climate and circular economy
- Adept at taking initiative and driving results
- Strong internal drive to work independently, but also enjoys working on a team
- Goal oriented
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills including the ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel
- Good communications skills, both written and oral
- Knowledge of Sustainability Systems
- Experience with system implementation
- Bachelor’s degree in pulp and paper science, engineering, environmental sciences, sustainability, or related field.
- Preferably 7+ years of experience within sustainability in a manufacturing industry, ideally in the pulp and paper manufacturing
- A passion to be a changemaker in sustainability by challenging conventional products and processes and ability to work towards a circular and climate neutral economy.
- Thrive in public settings through contact with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Travel between the manufacturing facilities and NA Corporate office will be done on a regular basis and international travel to Sweden might occur
Billerud NA is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.