SIO Portfolio Operations Manager
It’s an exciting time to join the WellSense Health Plan, a growing regional health insurance company with a 25-year history of providing health insurance that works for our members, no matter their circumstances.
The Portfolio Ops Manager plays a critical role in overseeing the comprehensive management of the Strategic Initiatives Office (SIO) portfolios in alignment with organizational goals and strategies. This position focuses on evaluating potential projects within the WellSense portfolio, utilizing data-driven insights to enhance project effectiveness and business value. The Portfolio Ops Manager will lead the strategic management of the SIO portfolio, optimizing its composition through rationalization and ensuring alignment with WellSense's decision criteria.
This role involves interfacing with SIO leadership, Program Managers, Project Managers, Business Analysts and Business stakeholders including executives. Leveraging strong leadership and collaboration skills, will guide the team in implementing best practices that cater to internal and external stakeholders, thereby advancing portfolio management capabilities.
The Portfolio Manager utilizes expertise in portfolio and project management tools and processes to deliver end-to-end execution excellence. Assessment of incoming project demands against the existing project management capacity. This position requires an analytical approach through assessments to provide portfolio prioritization recommendations for optimal timing and resource allocation, contributing to the efficient realization of the organization's objectives.
Our Investment in You:
- Full-time remote work
- Competitive salaries
- Excellent benefits
· Assist in the identification of all components of the SIO portfolio – required projects and programs
· Apply Portfolio evaluation framework to categorize, evaluate, prioritize, and sequence specific projects and programs
· Work with the Director of ePMO, Director of Analytics, and Director of Portfolio Management to create a cohesive Portfolio (including development of risk assessments, identification of constraints, and assumptions)
· Analyze/use metrics and data to effectively monitor and report on portfolio ops performance
· Contribute to the establishment of common practices, tools, and templates for portfolio and project management, analysis and data insights
· Assist the VP of Strategic Implementation in the review and implementation of portfolio/project management, analysis and data insights best practices
· Work with the VP of Strategic Implementation in the implementation of initiatives to align the Portfolio/Program Management practices with strategic objectives
· Actively manage Stakeholder’s expectations, resource alignment, and possible conflicting priorities across the projects and services. Utilize negotiation skill sets to drive project team and executives to make decisions in a timely manner to deliver services as to agreed scope, schedule and budget.
· Resolve issues or escalate risk to next level of management as necessary. Issues may relate to any of the phases during the project life-cycle including user requirements, development, testing, implementation, integration, training or ongoing support.
· Assist with the development of an annual operating budget as needed.
· Participate in presentations to personnel, including management, as necessary.
· Build and maintain the SIO artifact templates & repository, including work instructions and policies and procedures based on best practice / industry standards.
· Support SIO leadership with operational activities, including management of sharepoint, teams and other collaboration tools.
· Support SIO leadership with organization and execution of team onsites and staff meetings.
· Support SIO leadership with triage of issues, escalations and root cause analysis on project execution
Competencies, Skills, and Attributes:
· Demonstrates resilience & resourcefulness while operating in a matrixed, fast-paced environment, at all levels
· Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities.
· Demonstrated ability to perform in a complex matrixed environment across departments, at varying levels of management
· Demonstrated ability to think critically and adapt one's approach to suit a particular audience or situation.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written) required to effectively maintain strong working relationships with internal and external colleagues.
· Excellent at facilitation and relationship management skills. Able to coach others and discuss facilitation strategy.
· Leads discussions in a way that builds trust and inspires action among the audience.
· Strong focus on service to internal and external customers. Recognition of the enabling nature of project management.
· Earn the trust of business / project owners as well as SIO Staff
· Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Products (PowerPoint, Excel, Word. Visio, Outlook)
· Manage multiple complex assignments at the same time
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Ability to work East Coast business hours.
- Regular and reliable attendance is an essential function of the position.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited physical effort required. No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
· General supervision from the Director of Portfolio is received weekly or as needed.
· Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
· 5+ years’ experience with a Health Plan, or other Healthcare Experience
· 5+ years’ experience with Medicaid or Medicare managed Health care or health plan
· Hands on experience with PPM tools and software (Plan View/Project Place, Asana, Microsoft Project, etc.)
· Experience in SAFe Agile methodology
· Experience in developing and managing to budgets
Required Licensure, Certification or Conditions of Employment:
· Successful completion of pre-employment background check
WellSense Health Plan is a nonprofit health insurance company serving more than 740,000 members across Massachusetts and New Hampshire through Medicare, Individual and Family, and Medicaid plans. Founded in 1997, WellSense provides high-quality health plans and services that work for our members, no matter their circumstances.