Computer Science Instructor
The Computer Technology Department at Arapahoe Community College has an opening for a part-time Instructor to teach courses during the upcoming Spring semester.
This posting will be used to fill multiple part-time Instructor vacancies. Finalist must be willing to make Colorado their primary workplace, including for online courses.
Part-time instructors provide instructional duties for the College in their respective areas of expertise. They report to the department chair within the discipline and do not have any supervisory responsibilities. Responsibilities include: instruction, student assessment, and other related instructional duties. Possible teaching locations include Littleton, Parker, and Castle Rock campuses and classes may be held days, evenings, and weekends. Instructional delivery may include face-to-face, hybrid, web-enhanced, and online.
Available courses include:
Computer Science II (Java) - This course provides students with experience using data structures and in the design and implementation of larger software projects. This course is scheduled for Monday and Wednesday afternoons.
Discrete Structures - This course prepares students for a fundamental understanding of computing and computer science. Topics covered include set theory, Boolean algebra, relations, functions, graph theory, and techniques for formal reasoning. This course is scheduled for Thursday evenings.
The instructor must be patient, and respectful, while also providing their expectations for what is considered acceptable work. The instructor must display dedication to the class as well as the goals of the program.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Associate’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or related subfield OR
- Associate’s degree plus 18 credit hours (undergraduate or graduate) in Computer Science-related field OR
- Bachelor’s degree in any field with 18 credit hours of coursework that demonstrates knowledge and utilization of computer-based technology and relevant applications
- Have, or qualify for, postsecondary CTE credential including 4,000 non-teaching occupational hours within the last 7 years (2,000 hours if at Bachelor’s or higher)
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field from an accredited institution
- Three (3) years’ experience working in Computer Engineering, Computer Programming, or similar. Experience must be within the past 7 years to qualify for CTE credentialing.
- Proficiency in programming using Python, Java, and/or C++
- Ability to explain technical skills simply to a diverse audience
- Demonstrated competency with multiple instructional delivery methods (online, hybrid, web-enhanced and face-to-face)
- Ability to work effectively both autonomously and as a member of a collaborative team
- Understanding of adult learning theory concepts; ability to utilize these principles effectively in the learning environment
Physical & Cognitive Demands
The following are some of the physical and cognitive demands commonly associated with this position.
- This position operates in a standard office and/or classroom environment. Constantly uses a computer and routinely uses standard office equipment including phones, copiers, etc.
- Cognitive demands include comparing, copying, computing, compiling, analyzing, coordinating, synthesizing, negotiating, communicating, instructing, and interpersonal skills.
- Occasionally moves, positions, and transports office supplies, books, and equipment, up to 20 lbs.
- May require the ability to work remotely during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement
Arapahoe Community College provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process and/or during the course of employment, please contact Angela Johnson, Director of Human Resources, at 303.797.5715 or Angela.Johnson@arapahoe.edu.
This is a Lecture (LEC) course paid per credit hour at a rate of: $824.27 for Level 1, $874.27 for Level 2, and $924.27 for Level 3. Individuals who do not actively teach within CCCS will be hired at the Level 1 rate. Those actively employed within CCCS are eligible to be hired at their current level (refer to SP 3-10b for additional information).
All applicants must submit a resume, detailed letter of interest addressing the job announcement, unofficial transcripts, copies of applicable certifications, and names and contact information for three professional references. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications as related to the duties and responsibilities of the position. Scroll to the bottom of this page to submit your application.
This position will be open until filled.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Nina.Amey@arapahoe.edu.
Medical insurance is offered to instructors and other variable hour employees who have worked, on average, at least 30 hours per week in a 12-month period. ACC/CCCS uses an initial 12-month measurement period to determine medical benefit eligibility, and a 12-month standard measurement period. Additional information about this, and Life and Disability benefit information can be found at the CCCS Employee Benefits site under “Instructor & Variable Hour Employee Benefit Information.”
Sick leave is granted in accordance with SB20-205, Sick Leave for Employees, accrued at one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked, up to a maximum of 48 hours per year.
Instructors are required to contribute to Colorado PERA at a fixed percentage of their salary and do not contribute to Social Security. ACC/CCCS student employees are not eligible to participate in PERA. ACC/CCCS offers three tax-deferred investment plans, including 401(k), 403(b) and 457.
ACC offers an Instructor Advancement Program (IAP), which allows instructors to achieve Level II and Level III status when all requirements for each level have been met.
Notice to all Applicants
- Final candidate will be subject to successful completion of a background check, and, if applicable, a motor vehicle record review.
- Former employees of the Colorado Community College System, or one of its 13 colleges, who were disciplinarily terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this information in their application material.
- Final candidate is required to submit official transcripts to Human Resources within thirty (30) days of hire.
- Direct deposit of payroll is a condition of employment.
- Arapahoe Community College participates in E-Verify.
- Arapahoe Community College is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
- Finalist must be willing to make Colorado their primary workplace, including for online courses.
Arapahoe Community College is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment including those that violate federal and state law, or the State Board for Community Colleges and Occupational Education Board Policies 3-120 and 4-120. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, color, age, creed, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, familial status, veteran or military status, pregnancy status, religion, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other protected class or category under applicable local, state, or federal law (also known as “civil rights laws”), in connection with employment practices or educational programs and activities (including admissions).
We seek to respect, understand, and embrace the diversity of our students, staff, faculty, and the community we proudly serve. As a community, ACC encourages the richness of diversity and values the dignity of all persons. We strive to foster an equitable and positive learning environment that reflects the diverse nature of the people of Colorado and the nation.
For information regarding Arapahoe Community College Security, including Clery Act / Crime Statistics for the campuses and surrounding area, please see the Arapahoe Community College Annual Security Report. For a hard copy report, contact the ACC Campus Police Department at 303.797.5800, Campus.Police@arapahoe.edu, or Room M2600 at 5900 South Santa Fe Drive, Littleton, Colorado 80120.