Automotive Technology Instructor
The Automotive Technology Program at Arapahoe Community College is accepting applications for part-time Instructors to teach the following areas:
- Electrical/Electronic Systems
- Suspension and Steering Systems
Courses will be taught at the Littleton campus in the Automotive Department (classroom and lab/shop).
Part-time Instructors provide instructional duties for the College in their respective areas of expertise. They report to the department or program chair within the discipline and do not have any supervisory responsibilities. Responsibilities include: instruction, student assessment, and other related instructional duties. The instructor must be patient, and respectful, while also providing their expectations for what is considered acceptable work. The instructor must display dedication to the class as well as the goals of the program.
The Automotive Service Technology program prepares students for employment as professional technicians and includes ASE and manufacturer-specific training. The program is accredited by the ASE Education Foundation.
- Associate’s degree in Automotive Technology
- Current ASE A1-A8 and G-1 certifications
- Have, or qualify for, a postsecondary CTE credential including 4,000 non-teaching occupational hours within the last 7 years
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Self-management: sets well-defined and realistic personal goals; displays a high level of initiative, effort, and commitment towards completing assignments in a timely manner; works with minimal supervision; is motivated to achieve, and demonstrates responsible behavior.
- Interpersonal skills: shows understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy, and concern; develops and maintains professional relationships; may deal with people who are difficult, hostile, and/or distressed; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and situations, and is sensitive to individual differences.
- Diversity: is sensitive to cultural diversity, race, gender, and other individual differences in the workforce.
- Conflict management: manages and resolves conflicts, grievances, disagreements in a constructive manner to minimize negative personal impact.
- Integrity/honesty: contributes to maintaining the integrity of the organization; displays high standards of ethical conduct; understands the impact of violating these standards on an organization, self, and others, and is trustworthy.
- Organizational awareness: knows the organization’s mission and function and how its social, political, and technological systems work and operates effectively with them including the program, policies, procedures, rules and regulations of the organization.
- Teaching others: helps others learn through formal and/or informal methods; identifies training needs; provides constructive feedback; coaches others on how to perform tasks; and acts as a mentor.
- Computer skill proficiency; particularly in M/S Office programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Physical & Cognitive Demands
The following are some of the physical and cognitive demands commonly associated with this position.
- This position operates in an automotive shop and classroom. Constantly uses a computer and routinely uses standard office equipment including phones, copiers, etc.
- Cognitive demands include comparing, copying, computing, compiling, analyzing, coordinating, synthesizing, negotiating, communicating, instructing, and interpersonal skills.
- Occasionally moves, positions, and transports automotive parts and equipment, up to 100 lbs.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement
Arapahoe Community College provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process and/or during the course of employment, please contact Angela Johnson, Director of Human Resources, at 303.797.5715 or Angela.Johnson@arapahoe.edu.
This is a Lecture/Lab (LLB) course paid per credit hour at a rate of: $1,030.34 for Level 1, $1,092.84 for Level 2, and $1,155.34 for Level 3. Individuals who do not actively teach within CCCS will be hired at the Level 1 rate. Those actively employed within CCCS are eligible to be hired at their current level (refer to SP 3-10b for additional information).
All applicants must submit a resume, detailed letter of interest addressing the job announcement, unofficial transcripts, copies of applicable certifications, and names and contact information for three professional references. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications as related to the duties and responsibilities of the position. Scroll to the bottom of this page to submit your application.
This position will be open until filled.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Doc Viola, Director of the Automotive Technology Program at Doc.Viola@arapahoe.edu.
Medical insurance is offered to instructors and other variable hour employees who have worked, on average, at least 30 hours per week in a 12-month period. ACC/CCCS uses an initial 12-month measurement period to determine medical benefit eligibility, and a 12-month standard measurement period. Additional information about this, and Life and Disability benefit information can be found at the CCCS Employee Benefits site under “Instructor & Variable Hour Employee Benefit Information.”
Sick leave is granted in accordance with SB20-205, Sick Leave for Employees, accrued at one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked, up to a maximum of 48 hours per year.
Instructors are required to contribute to Colorado PERA at a fixed percentage of their salary and do not contribute to Social Security. ACC/CCCS student employees are not eligible to participate in PERA. ACC/CCCS offers three tax-deferred investment plans, including 401(k), 403(b) and 457.
ACC offers an Instructor Advancement Program (IAP), which allows instructors to achieve Level II and Level III status when all requirements for each level have been met.
Notice to all Applicants
- Final candidate will be subject to successful completion of a background check, and, if applicable, a motor vehicle record review.
- Former employees of the Colorado Community College System, or one of its 13 colleges, who were disciplinarily terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this information in their application material.
- Final candidate is required to submit official transcripts to Human Resources within thirty (30) days of hire.
- Direct deposit of payroll is a condition of employment.
- Arapahoe Community College participates in E-Verify.
- Arapahoe Community College is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
- Finalist must be willing to make Colorado their primary workplace, including for online courses.
Arapahoe Community College is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment including those that violate federal and state law, or the State Board for Community Colleges and Occupational Education Board Policies 3-120 and 4-120. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, color, age, creed, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, familial status, veteran or military status, pregnancy status, religion, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other protected class or category under applicable local, state, or federal law (also known as “civil rights laws”), in connection with employment practices or educational programs and activities (including admissions).
We seek to respect, understand, and embrace the diversity of our students, staff, faculty, and the community we proudly serve. As a community, ACC encourages the richness of diversity and values the dignity of all persons. We strive to foster an equitable and positive learning environment that reflects the diverse nature of the people of Colorado and the nation.
For information regarding Arapahoe Community College Security, including Clery Act / Crime Statistics for the campuses and surrounding area, please see the Arapahoe Community College Annual Security Report. For a hard copy report, contact the ACC Campus Police Department at 303.797.5800, Campus.Police@arapahoe.edu, or Room M2600 at 5900 South Santa Fe Drive, Littleton, Colorado 80120.