Rodney B. Lewis Resident – American Indian Law and Policy
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is a leading international law firm with more than 900 lawyers in offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. We are currently seeking an American Indian Law and Policy Resident.
Under the general supervision and direction of assigned attorney(s), advisor(s) or practice management, and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Rodney B. Lewis Resident assists with projects for the Public Law and Policy practice and the American Indian Law and Policy practice. The American Indian Law and Policy practice provides legal and strategic advice to American Indian tribal governments and other entities that share a commitment to tribal political empowerment, sovereignty and economic development. Our lawyers and consultants design legal strategies, defend tribal rights and formulate public policy recommendations that make it possible for our tribal clients to accomplish their business, legal and political goals.
In the course of duties, the Rodney B. Lewis Resident is exposed to the intersection of business, policy and politics, the legislative process, and Capitol Hill. The Rodney B. Lewis Resident is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s clients, attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Resident must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm's Core Values.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the legislative process and Capitol Hill as well as executive branch regulatory processes.
- Monitor Congressional legislative activity, political activity, regulatory developments, industry trends and media that impact clients.
- Attend and summarize Congressional hearings.
- Monitor and report on media relevant to clients and their interests.
- Conduct extensive, time-sensitive research and package findings.
- Research, draft and prepare presentations and reports on select legislative and regulatory issues.
- Draft white papers, talking points, memoranda and correspondence for attorneys, advisors and clients.
- Coordinate and/or attend meetings for and with the team and our clients, with Members of Congress, executive branch officials and their staff.
- Prepare and manage client schedules.
- Assist with client development projects, including tracking industry events and conferences.
- Assume other responsibilities as requested in support of the Public Law and Policy practice and the American Indian Law and Policy practice groups’ goals and objectives.
Qualifications (Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Background in policy, business, and the regulatory and legislative processes preferred
- Understanding of political and legislative processes
- Understanding of regulatory and administrative processes
- Proficiency in Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office including Word and Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong research, writing, and news monitoring skills
- Comfort with video conferencing systems, such as Zoom
- Ability to work proactively and demonstrate initiative
- Ability to work independently, multi-task and prioritize among competing tasks under pressure and time constraints
- Ability to work in a team setting and collaborate with peers and superiors
- Good judgment and a strong sense of responsibility, integrity and loyalty
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of client, firm and office information and adhering to the Firm’s Core Values
- Commitment to professional growth and development
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility