IT Support Specialist - Returnship
The Path Forward Return to Work program at Akin Gump is a 16- week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 5 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least two years to focus on caring for a loved one. If you meet these criteria, we welcome you to apply.
At Akin Gump we are excited to be part of the Path Forward program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with others transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is a leading international law firm with more than 900 lawyers in offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. We are currently seeking an IT Support Specialist in the Information Technology department reporting to the Houston IT Support Manager.
The role will reside in the Houston, TX office and will be responsible for the day-to-day support of computer operations of the office. The IT Support Specialist is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Provide direct technical support (Level 1 and Level 2) for computer system users in the office.
- Support and troubleshoot both computer and telecommunications-related issues: software, hardware, network devices, printers, and smartphones.
- Handle tickets escalated from the Help Desk in a timely manner. Provide follow-up to users after initial visit. Retain ownership of own assigned tickets and update ticket logs daily.
- Lead projects as assigned by the Houston IT Support Manager. IT projects include but are not limited to software upgrades, computer set-ups, phone upgrades and end-of-lease equipment returns.
- Set-up audio/visual and other presentation needs in conference rooms.
- Assist with training system users as required on all aspects of computer Technology.
- Participate in application testing, and systems documentation.
- Participate in the weekly rotation of the after-hours department cell phone and provide after-hours support.
- Maintain accurate equipment inventory by following policies and with direction from the Houston IT Support Manager.
- Maintain and improve technical skills and abilities through continuing professional education and certifications.
- Light travel may be involved to other firm
Who you are:
- Communicator: Excellent oral and written communication skills; Ability to communicate with attorneys and staff in an effective, non-technical manner
- Learner: Proven ability to maintain and update technical knowledge and skills; Commitment to professional growth and development
- Achiever: Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner; Ability to work well under pressure, facilitate solutions, and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned
Qualifications (Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- At least a two-year college degree or technical school diploma is preferred; however substantial experience can substitute for education
- A minimum of two years’ experience in IT operations
- Strong technical knowledge in relevant areas (MS Office 2016 / 365, laptop computers, MS Outlook, smartphone devices (Apple, Android), Litera Change-Pro, printers – Xerox, Hewlett Packard, Document Management System
- Demonstrated ability to train computer system users in one-on-one settings
- Willingness and ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities
- Strong service orientation, and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with users, peers, office and firm management, and outside business partners
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility