Payroll Specialist - Business & Finance (Part-time)
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is edifying to God and to one another.
This position is responsible for processing and auditing employee bi-weekly payroll specifically and serve as a team player for the overall payroll of over 5,000 employees. Responsibilities include all pre-processing tasks including setting up direct deposit and creating batched pay data, uploading automated time and attendance data and AP information and other pay-related documents. Tasks also include all post-production steps including auditing and downloading reports. The payroll specialist will provide excellent customer service to all individuals with whom contact is made and participate in team tasks with the goal of transmitting an error free payroll to an outside vendor for processing. This position is also responsible to know and participate in the processing of the student payroll when necessary.
- High School Graduate, additional education in business or accounting desirable.
- Minimum of two years of accounting, and/or payroll experience in a high-volume company, preferably higher education.
- Proven basic to moderate understanding of core payroll fundamentals, including paycheck calculation, wage and hour laws and payroll taxes
- Understand and able to communicate complex payroll taxation and deduction impact to employees.
- Ability to comprehend the data in available resources and reports to (1) communicate effectively with employees and the HR Department in explaining pay statement related inquiries, (2) organize data for internal and external agency audits and (3) assist with quarterly and year end reconciliation
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail in a high-volume, busy environment.
- Working knowledge and basic understanding of MS Word and Excel, general ledger accounts, reporting regulations and general reporting in accordance with GAAP.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
Strong comprehension of current payroll software to understand how the data is maintained for purposes of auditing payroll transactions during the transmittal phase with strict adherence to payroll deadlines.
Generate, calculate, and produce file including hours for payment via Kronos timekeeping system.
Process timekeeping hours change request forms for payment to employees.Monitor time entry and notify supervisors of missing hours during the pay period to assist in full payment to each employee.
- Engage with hourly staff who also serve in an adjunct role to ensure hours are recorded promptly and with proper coding for accurate pay each pay period. Educate and communicate with supervisors as necessary.
- Engage with supervisors on missed time recording when necessary and as time allows.
- Process deductions for liens and garnishments for all pay groups in coordination with third-party provider. Follow proper procedure and policy for communication to Office of General Counsel and the employee. Provide guidance to other payroll specialists as needed for their information in processing their pay groups.
- Process special pay such as leave of absence, mobile allowances and termination pay in accordance with direction from Office of Human Resources and coordinating departments.
- Monitor banking transactions with third-party payroll provide to respond to ACH rejections and make corrections.
- Provide customer service for pay card and online pay statement enrollments to employees
- As a team player, be able to process a variety of paper and electronic data uploads for purposes of creating and transmitting payroll transactions for all employees for the other pay groups and frequencies.
- Work closely with Human Resources, Kronos team and current third-party payroll provider to resolve all payroll, tax, benefit, garnishment issues prior to submitting payroll for final processing
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality with all written and verbal communications
- Serves as a help desk for employee inquiries on payments, taxes, benefits, or other. Provides assistance with iPay and Aline card enrollments as necessary.
- Provide assistance to the Payroll Supervisor with special projects or performance of other duties, as needed.
- Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on department needs.
- Maintain accurate payroll records in accordance with Federal and State agencies, University policies and procedures and GAAP.
- Respond to various subpoenas for records as requested by the Office of the General Counsel.
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with Payroll co-workers in a busy, close environment focused on the goal for the team success.
Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task and willingness to learn new skills.
Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to focus on details while adapting to workflow changes that occur throughout the day.
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel and ADP Reporting.
- Accurate data entry and 10 key by touch.
Ability to interact effectively with vendors, faculty, staff, students, and the general public.
Able to exercise independent judgment and discretion with minimal supervision.Ability to work under minimal supervision, take initiative, and possess logical problem solving.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and deadlines
- Ability to identify internal control weaknesses and effectively communicate operational and functional improvements to supervisor.
- Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects of the position.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students
Requires continuous periods of sitting, 5-6 hours a day.Extensive computer keyboard work, including repetitive wrist and finger motions.
- Ability to effectively listen and communicate.
- Ability to lift, pull, grasp, bend to lower file drawers and reach to top of a five drawer file cabinet.
- Ability to lift up to 20lbs.
- Ability to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Computer monitor and reading.
Pleasant office with some noise and many people; comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
- Grade 7: $19.49 - $22.41 is the hourly compensation for this role and reflects what Azusa Pacific University reasonably expects to pay for this position. Actual compensation may vary based on the qualifications, experience, and internal equity. In addition to compensation, APU offers a competitive benefits package.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation. Please click the links to learn more about 'what we believe', our 'mission statement', and our 'statement of faith'.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
This position is located at 901 E. Alosta Ave.,, Azusa, CA. View the Google Map in full screen.