Major Gifts Officer - University Advancement
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is pleasing to God and edifying to one another.
The Major Gifts Officer is primarily responsible for fund raising for university priorities from current and prospective major gift donors. The Major Gifts Officer will actively manage an assigned portfolio of major donor prospects using a discovery, cultivation, solicitation and retention model. The Major Gifts Officer will be expected to focus on in-person interactions, involving the clear articulation of APU's mission, vision, and funding priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years of direct fund-raising experience.
- Experience managing a donor portfolio.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Manage an assigned portfolio of 120 – 150 current and prospective major donor prospects, using a discovery, cultivation, solicitation and retention model.
- Build meaningful relationships with assigned prospects/donors, conducting a minimum of 20 face-to-face donor visits per month. Expected that 75% of work time should be spent preparing, communicating, traveling, meeting with donors/prospects, and related follow up work.
- Prepare and implement appropriate major donor strategies for the cultivation and solicitation of both annual and major gifts ($10,000+).
- Develop and incorporate estate planning resources to assist in identifying and garnering planned gift commitments.
- Assist in the prospect research data collection and engagement process as part of the major donor solicitation strategy.
- Attend Advancement and University events (may include evenings and weekends).
- Provide accurate information of all prospect and donor activity in Raiser's Edge, including contact reports, gift commitments, strategy statements, and other documentation.
- Serve as an APU ambassador with a high level of integrity, authenticity and confidentiality. Maintain a positive image when dealing with constituents and the university community; demonstrate a lifestyle consistent with the values and ethos of APU.
- Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on department needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Strong self-starter with a positive attitude, and intrinsically motivated.
- Proven ability to manage a portfolio and make major gift level asks ($10,000+), involving travel, flexible work schedule involving morning, evening and weekend work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a winsome and relational manner.
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a wide range of professionals, in a metric and goal driven environment.
- Ability to understand, embrace, and communicate APU's unique mission and character.
- Other necessary characteristics: honesty, responsiveness, follow-through, servant attitude, confidentiality, vision, initiative, drive, and adaptability.
- Ability to work under pressure, exuding a mature demeanor while multi-tasking in a deadline oriented environment with accuracy and consistency.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretionary skills in determining when to act independently and when to consult management prior to taking action.
- Significant travel in car and planes.
- Requires repetitive motions and sitting at computer keyboard.
- Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
- Intermittent sitting and standing.
- Able to lift, bend, grasp, reach, lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
- Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
- Pleasant office, comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in CRM such as Raiser’s Edge (preferred), Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word and Excel.
- Grade 17: $91,587 - $119,063 is the annual salary for this role and reflects what Azusa Pacific University reasonably expects to pay for this position. Actual compensation may vary based on the qualifications, experience, and internal equity. In addition to compensation, APU offers a competitive benefits package.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation. Please click the links to learn more about 'what we believe', our 'mission statement', and our 'statement of faith'.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
This position is located at 901 East Alosta Avenue, Azusa, CA. View the Google Map in full screen.