Financial Aid Specialist - Financial Aid & Student Financial Services
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is edifying to God and to one another.
This position is responsible for determining students’ financial aid eligibility and processing Federal, State, Institutional and outside aid for traditional undergraduate, graduate and professional students through the analysis of financial aid data and student documents.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five to seven years of general business experience, preferably in related field or a field that is highly regulated.
- Financial Aid Experience preferred.
- PeopleSoft Campus Solution experience preferred.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Reviews federal needs analysis documents for accuracy and follows up for income documentation for federal verification.
- Understands basic federal tax law to evaluate the accuracy of FAFSA data entry and completes verifications for families that are selected based on the Department of Education’s 30% rule.
- Awards and revises all federal, state, and institutional aid as well as private student loans for students within federal, state, and institutional guidelines.
- Communicate with other SFS staff and departments across campus in a timely manner regarding adjustments needed to students’ financial aid award packages and other individual student circumstances.
- Review and analyze various daily, weekly and monthly reports to ensure accuracy, discern errors, and maintain high level of student service through the financial aid process.
- Monitor and review student’s academic progress to ensure ongoing eligibility for financial aid.
- Processes required “Return to Title IV” program funds for students officially or unofficially withdrawing from the university.
- Review, interpret and apply complex federal and state regulations to remain in compliance by attending conferences, workshops, webinars and other available forms of training as applicable.
- Use PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, Windows interface and Microsoft products, Archiving, COD, ELM-ONE, NSLDS, FAA Access, Webgrants and various other financial aid websites to complete tasks.
- Required to work one Saturday commencement event (Winter or Spring) each calendar year.
- Committed to a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values diversity.
- Support, affirm, and sustain the beliefs, values, and mission of the university in all facets of one's role and through the university's daily living expectations.
- Responsible for daily electronic timekeeping as it applies to the scope of this position.
- Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on department needs.
- Performs other duties related to job description as assigned by supervisor.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, primarily Excel and Word.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
- Good command of the English language with good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to plan details of procedures and methods to obtain definite objectives.
- Ability to work under pressure, exuding a mature demeanor while multi-tasking in a deadline-oriented environment with accuracy and consistency.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team, as well as an independent contributor.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretionary skills in determining when to act independently and when to consult management prior to taking action.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Requires repetitive motions and sitting at computer keyboard.
- Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
- Ability to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Ability to lift, bend, grasp, reach, lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
- Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
- Pleasant but busy office setting, comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Google Apps. and Microsoft Office (primarily Excel).
- Grade 8: $21.44 to $27.87 is the hourly compensation for this role and reflects what Azusa Pacific University reasonably expects to pay for this position. Actual compensation may vary based on the qualifications, experience, and internal equity. In addition to compensation, APU offers a competitive benefits package.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation. Please click the links to learn more about 'what we believe', our 'mission statement', and our 'statement of faith'.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
This position is located at 901 East Alosta Avenue, Azusa, CA. View the Google Map in full screen.