Adjunct Faculty - Department of English
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences-Adjunct Pool
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is pleasing to God and edifying to one another.
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. As a leading Christian university in California, Azusa Pacific University grounds rigorous academics on a solid spiritual foundation. With an intentional focus on scholarship, faith integration, diversity, and internationalization, APU provides high-quality academic programs within a tight-knit community of disciples and scholars. APU is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as an R2 Doctoral University, recognizing APU’s high level of research activity. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering more than 100 bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional locations across Southern California, APU continues to be recognized annually as one of America’s Best Colleges by U.S. News & World Report.
This is a CONTINUOUS APPLICANT POOL. Adjunct assignments are filled on an as needed basis. As a position becomes available, you may be contacted by the hiring manager should the school/college be interested in scheduling an interview.
The Department of English and the Writing Program invite applications for adjunct faculty to teach courses at the undergraduate level. The English Department is currently accepting applicants interested in teaching Writing 1: The Art & Craft of Writing.* .
The primary responsibility of adjunct faculty is to deliver instruction in the manner determined by the department. In addition, faculty responsibilities may include:
- Preparation of syllabus and teaching of curriculum according to the goals and objectives of the department.
- Student advising and office hours in relation to the course load carried, and as assigned in the faculty teaching assignment.
- Participation in faculty meetings and departmental activities as identified by the department chair or program director, and assigned in the adjunct faculty contract.
- Determine student mastery of material and assign final course grades from evaluation of tests, quizzes, homework, and other assignments and activities related to course material.
- Responsible for daily electronic timekeeping as it applies to the scope of this position.
• Must have a master’s or terminal degree in the field of instruction or related area.
• Preferred experience includes teaching at the college or university level.
• The ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds.
• A demonstrated, vibrant Christian faith compatible with the mission of Azusa Pacific University.
Assigned teaching duties will not exceed 9 units per semester; office hours and additional duties may be assigned. Total workload will not exceed 29 hours per week, nor 24 units per 12-month period. *May also be considered for an optional writing lab course.
• Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
• Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
• Self-starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
$25.32 - $27.32/hour (Using a 3 unit full semester appointment as a pay guide). The actual hourly rate will be determined by the units, course length, experience, and rank of the candidate. Adjuncts are paid on an hourly basis which includes preparation and teaching time.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation. Please click the links to learn more about 'what we believe', our 'mission statement', and our 'statement of faith'.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Please specify if you are interested in teaching at one of the following locations:
High Desert, Inland Empire, Los Angeles, Murrieta, Orange County, or San Diego