Embedded Systems Engineer
McKean Defense is a Naval Life Cycle Management, Engineering, Enterprise Transformation and Program Management business headquartered in Philadelphia, PA. McKean’s engineers, developers, technical staff, programmers, analysts, and program managers identify and deploy new shipboard technologies, integrate information technology across shipboard platforms, and develop strategies to support the Warfighter. McKean’s employees create strategic solutions to help customers reach new levels of mission support and transform their organizations. McKean Defense is employee owned, and values the life experiences of potential candidates, including those who have served our Military. Currently, 38% of McKean’s employee owner workforce are veterans.
McKean Defense is seeking an systems engineer who will work alongside electrical and mechanical engineers to build and deploy a variety of electrical and machinery control systems. The responsibilities and duties of this position include:
- Develop firmware for embedded control systems
- Create Graphics User Interfaces (GUIs) and utilities for embedded Linux systems
- Build communication interfaces for multi-node systems
- Maintain and document repositories
- Determine system requirements
- Operate in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
Key Skills include:
- Experience with bare metal microprocessor systems
- Familiarity with embedded Linux and real-time operating systems
- Exposure to CAN/CANopen
- Experience with source code control and code documentation, (e.g. github, source safe)
- Capable of operating in small teams
- Able to complete assignments in an accurate and timely manner
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Attention to detail and organizational skills
- Understanding of electro-mechanical and feedback systems
- Written communication skills for clear and accurate documentation
- Comfortable with working on multiple projects
Other desired skills:
- Familiarity with databases and SQL a plus
- Experience with electronics and hardware prototyping desirable, but not required
Experience with basic hand tools desirable, but not required
Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering or Computer Science.
Active DoD Secret clearance or ability to obtain one.
Travel up to 25%
Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
McKean Defense is an E-Verify company.