Flexographic Press Operator Lead
Set up, adjust, operate, and maintain multi-color flexographic press to print multi-color work which includes solids, screen tints, line and halftones with critical color values and registration requirements. Printing on a variety of substrates including paper, film, tag stock and pressure sensitive label materials. Review job specifications to determine the press setup according to the imposition of the run. Perform all make-ready tasks associated with the type of press operated such as mounting plates, installing cylinders, dies and other tooling, examine plates/cylinders for imperfections and checks for correct positioning of images, adjusting tension and register etc. Make necessary color corrections and/or press adjustments prior to production run to meet and maintain the quality specifications of the work. Clean, lubricate, and maintain the press, making minor repairs and replacing worn or broken parts as required. Performs periodic maintenance recommended by the manufacturer. May train and mentor new press operators. Sales and performance goals and maintain press schedule. Additional duties may be assigned to ensure employee safety, quality, customer service and record keeping standards are maintained.
Mon - Fri Shift: 3rd - 10pm to 6 am (May include overtime)
RR Donnelley is an EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled Employer
- Must be skilled in a variety of difficult manipulative and mechanical procedures necessary to perform setups, adjustments, operations and maintenance procedures on multiple presses to produce single-color, two-color, and multicolor work.
- Requires thorough knowledge of flexographic printing procedures, materials, equipment and safety requirements and skills to perform assignments.
- Skill to read and understand job specifications to determine press set-up materials needed to run the job successfully.
- Able to read and interpret work instructions. Read safety rules, instructions in the use and maintenance of shop tools and equipment and methods and procedures in mechanical drawing and layout work. Able to communicate effectively in writing using proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech.
- Must have thorough knowledge of press capabilities to determine the most appropriate use of the press and corrective adjustments required to run efficiently.
- Knowledge of the appropriate amount of pressure needed to obtain the proper printing impression for the type of job being run.
- Skill in use of ruler, PMS guides and other typical printing job aids to ensure consistent quality is maintained.
- Intermediate understanding of computer and computer skills given newer equipment operating systems including cameras, drives and imaging systems.
- Apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form.
- Able to perform arithmetic, algebraic, and geometric procedures in standard practical applications.
- Ability to operate a computer at an intermediate level.
- Able to work independently and/or as part of a team.
- Punctual, regular attendance is an essential job function of employment with RR Donnelley.
- Overtime, including weekend work, is considered a condition of employment.
- 2 – 5 plus Previous Flexographic experience operating a press in a label printing environment required.
- Job requires ability to exert 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; ability to distinguish color variation
- Two-handed operation required to operate STOP/Safe
- Must have good eye/hand coordination.