Product Owner-Life Products
At the present time, we are looking at internal candidates ONLY. This is an exciting opportunity to help Penn Mutual build the administrative foundation for life product implementation. This Product Owner will work with Product Management and operations areas to define the vision and roadmap for life products, including new product development and in-force product support. This position will balance the need to deliver products quickly, with the need for excellence and ongoing maintenance. The Product Owner is a passionate advocate and doer who will see a vision through to completion. He or she maintains alignment with the corporate strategy, engages with stakeholders, captures and evaluates their input, prioritizes and works closely with an Agile development team to ensure work execution is in alignment with corporate priorities.
- Articulates, elicits and inspires others to execute and support a compelling product vision and strategy
- Clearly draws and articulates the boundaries of that vision while providing enough latitude for an Agile team to creatively solve problems
- Determines and articulates Minimum Viable Product; that is, identifies those portions of an overall vision that are minimally necessary to achieve Penn Mutual’s objectives
- Creates, maintains, and prioritizes an Agile teams work backlog
- Is available and acts as final arbiter to an Agile team on questions, seeking outside guidance when necessary
- Constructs and communicates an Agile team’s product release plan to stakeholders
- Plans for and facilitates planning sessions
- Collaborates with other Product Owners to manage inter-team dependencies
- Elicits customer and stakeholder feedback on the quality and accuracy of delivered product features
- Remains current in profession and industry trends
- Complies with all company and site policies and procedures
- Successfully completes regulatory and job training requirements
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated ability to drive the execution of a vision
- Understanding of life insurance products
- Proven negotiation, influence and collaboration skills
- Proven ability in the area of creative facilitation and encouragement of innovation
- Encourages and demonstrates comfort with change, ambiguity, debate, conflict, experimentation, and informed risk taking
- Proven public speaking skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with both technical and business associates
- Proven ability to make or facilitate effective decisions as they relate to an Agile team’s product delivery
- Ability to make a positive contribution as demonstrated by learning new skills and making suggestions for process/procedure improvement
- Ability to work with others in a collaborative team environment
- 5+ years relevant experience with life products
- 5+ years relevant business experience and/or previous Product Owner, Product Manager, or similar experience
- Experience in insurance and/or financial services industry
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
Salary Level = 22
All Associates Exemplify Our Penn Mutual Values:
Acting With Integrity—We have the conscious intention to do the right thing.
Respecting One Another—We see each other’s distinctiveness as a valued asset.
Focusing on Relationships—We foster meaningful connections with others.
Sustaining Our Legacy—We are trusted guardians for what we promise.
A Shared Sense of Belonging—We evoke our place as part of a world that we influence and influences us.
For Leadership roles within Penn Mutual, we believe the below characteristics are essential:
Execution Focused—Gets it done. Drives progress and results towards strategic objectives.
Strategic–Sees the big picture. Challenges boundaries, takes risks and innovates to execute and advance Penn Mutual’s strategy.
Authentic–Keeps it real. Is principled, transparent, trustworthy and accountable.
Decisive – Makes the call. Demonstrates courage, confidence and a bias for action.
Empowering – Develops people. Sets clear expectations, delegates effectively and encourages risk taking.
Influential – Sets the tone. Inspires, motivates and persuades others through their decisions and actions.
Penn Mutual is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO). We provide employment and advancement opportunities to all qualified applicants and associates, according to applicable laws. This is reflected in our practices for hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment, compensation, selection or training, and all other terms and conditions of employment. All employment-related decisions and practices are free from unlawful discrimination. This includes: race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship age, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, domestic partnership or civil union status, marital status, genetic information, disability, religious observance or practice, liability, veteran status or any other classification protected under applicable law.
Leaders may, at their discretion, change the responsibilities in this position description at any time due to reasonable accommodation and/or other business reasons.