Design Engineer Intern (Part-Time)
The Design Engineer Intern is ultimately responsible for assisting Design Engineers in the design of product according to project requirements. The Design Engineer Intern assists with developing submittals, layouts, schematics and shop details in accordance with project specifications, building codes and site conditions. Design Engineers develop 2D and 3D project submittals and production releases for fabrication of product.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Project Planning
- Project assignments are of basic complexity, require minimal customization of components and design and are of low risk
- Provide conceptual design drawings and value engineering solutions to projects in the developmental design phase to assist the sales team in providing accurate and competitive pricing.
- Thoroughly review project specifications and scope, placing emphasis on design requirements.
- Conduct and review various calculations such as strength, weights, forces and stresses for material and component selection under supervision.
- Coordinator with project team to prepare submittal drawings for customer approval based on project specifications, scope, and engineering requirements; determine potential value engineering opportunities for project.
- Project Execution
- Prepare measuring templates, acquire field dimensions and construct as-built 3D models and layouts to ensure design feasibility and accuracy.
- Prepare accurate assembly and part drawings to assure proper fabrication and installation of product using Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD.
- Perform Quality Control duties such as review of project documents, production prints and designs for accuracy and completeness.
- Provide material take-offs and estimates and assist in project forecasting
- Integrate educational and professional experience to optimize project efficiencies.
- Ability to read and interpret architectural and fabrication drawings
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information pertaining to company’s operations and bids
*This position starts Fall 2019 or Spring 2020*
- Pursuing Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Possesses basic problem-solving skills
- Mechanically inclined with hands-on aptitude
- Experience in manufacturing or construction industries
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and production capabilities
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor or similar program
- Basic understanding of building codes and materials