Sr Project Architect - Healthcare
HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
Are you passionate about designing buildings that support new, ever-changing approaches to healthcare delivery? We’re looking for a Sr Project Architect who enjoys and has expertise in healthcare facility design. The successful candidate will be based in one of these HOK studios:
- Washington, D.C.
If you’re interested in joining our team, apply today by uploading your portfolio and resume. Please indicate your location preference.
- Demonstrates clear knowledge and understanding of healthcare specific design and technical requirements for a variety of healthcare projects types and sizes
- Leads the communication and coordination of project consultants and ensures consultant work and deliverables are in alignment with project design and coordinated between disciplines.
- Responsible for ensuring the overall design intent of the project established by the Sr. Project Designer is incorporated into the detailed documentation.
- Monitors the design process from conceptual phase through construction administration, ensuring the design idea is consistent and properly executed, and project contract requirements are met.
- Responsible for technical resolution and coordination for a defined portion of a healthcare specific project.
- Works with Specification Writer to develop specifications and is responsible for coordination of drawings and specifications.
- Checks completed reports, plans, estimates and calculations for accuracy.
- Sets the overall strategy and work plan for producing the documents and identifies the sheets planned for each stage of the work. This includes defining how data will be organized into files and which elements will be incorporated in a Building Information Model (BIM).
- Sets up project team software parameters and manages standards.
- Fosters and maintains a collaborative professional working relationship with the Project Leadership Team.
- Responsible for communication with other disciplines, vendors, and contractors to ensure incorporation of all information into project requirements and provides support as necessary.
- Ensures that construction detail documentation conforms to quality assurance, quality control and best practice standards.
- Supervises preparation of technical drawings by other less senior level architects or technicians.
- Performs as team leader on certain projects.
- Mentors and directs the work of less experienced staff, participates in professional development reviews and “Lessons Learned” sessions.
- Takes personal responsibility for fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
- Fosters a commitment to external and internal client service.
- Works on developing a positive relationship of trust with client Leadership.
- Regularly communicates with client representative to verify design requirements and specifications, progress reviews and delivery of final presentation.
- Receives project direction from the Principal in Charge and Technical direction from the RBU Technical Principal.
- Coordinates use and tracks shared electronic documentation and files with project team, clients and consultants.
- Assists in planning and conducting work making minor adaptations and modifications to complete working drawing set(s).
- Meets with municipal building department and other governing agency officials to coordinate approvals or variances.
- Writes reports and memos to consultants and vendors to issue changes and track resolutions.
- Provides technical support and project communications to team as required.
- Attends on-site visits, field reviews and project meetings. Prepares and coordinates the review of contractor’s schedules, submission of shop drawings and samples.
- Assists the Specification Writer in product research, consulting with manufacturers, evaluating and selecting project related materials and coordinates the development of project specifications with the team.
- Involved with specification set-up and drawing coordination, research and appropriate use of HOK Standards.
- Provides support to all team members for specific market, discipline, or other areas of expertise.
- Participates in team meetings to help resolve project issues, coordination with other disciplines, schedule adherence, technical issues.
- Participates in review of project costs and budgets, adherence to schedule.
- Prepares meeting minutes of consultant coordination meetings.
- May prepare 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings and builds models for client/project team review.
- Incorporates Integrated Sustainable Design solutions into projects.
- May participate in business development meetings with team leaders to target specified project, client or market opportunities.
- Strong knowledge of healthcare specific design, trends, construction methodology, material application, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
- Advanced knowledge of architectural building systems.
- Advanced knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Thorough knowledge of buildingSMART, Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Integrated Project Delivery (IDP).
- Advanced knowledge of QA/QC process.
- Advanced knowledge of building codes and ability to research and apply/incorporate into technical documents.
- Possess strong hand and advanced CAD drafting skills.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Proficiency in 3D Modeling software such as 3D Studio Max and Viz 2006 preferred.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and InDesign graphic software preferred.
- Proficiency in Revit required.
- Proficiency in NewForma preferred.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing. May be required to attend/lead client meetings.
- Ability to lead and coordinate multiple consultant teams to achieve project requirements and design intent.
- Ability to lead healthcare project teams and work effectively with other project leaders.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or equivalent in education or experience required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 15 plus years’ design experience working on complex healthcare specific projects in all phases of design preferred.
- Licensed Architect with current registration in your region required, if licensure is offered in your region.
- NCARB registration preferred.
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.
- Previous experience leading/managing/mentoring a project team preferred.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.