The Van Andel Institute (VAI) is a nonprofit biomedical research and science education institute located in the heart of Grand Rapids, MI’s vibrant Medical Mile. Our mission is to improve the health and enhance the lives of current and future generations through disease research and science education. Be a part of the day-to-day victories and the long-term successes. Join our team, and make the world better, one discovery at a time.
VAI is currently seeking to hire an Accountant II. As part of our Finance Team you will be responsible for accounting functions and customer service. You will work closely with Operations to support the Institute’s mission.
Your Key Responsibilities in this role will include the following:
- Recording daily cash and contribution transactions
- Calculating weekly cash transfers and wires
- Balance sheet account reconciliations
- Compiling budgets, management reporting, financial statements, and 990 returns for operating activity
What you’ll like most about working in the Finance Department:
- Your work will make a difference in the future of human health and science education!
- You will be surrounded by driven, hard working professionals.
- New opportunities and challenges are always arising.
- The Institute and department offer several fun, teambuilding events, creating a community.
- The opportunity to learn new perspectives and share yours in a diverse, collaborative environment.
You should possess the following characteristics/traits:
- Attention to Detail – you are able to provide excellent work on many tasks and track multiple activities with limited errors.
- Outstanding Customer Service – your role as an accountant is to support Operations by understanding their needs, provide accurate and timely data/ reports, and communicate results, questions and concerns professionally.
- Self-Starter – self motivation and excitement for the Institute’s mission.
- Team Player –work along with the Finance team to provide excellent reporting and meet important deadlines.
- Ownership – take ownership of work and seek solutions to exceed customers’ expectations.
To be a successful member of our team, we will measure you on the following areas:
- Team Player/ Team Satisfaction
- Customer Satisfaction
- Accuracy and Attention to Detail
The skills you will be required to have in this role:
- Bachelor’s degree with a major emphasis in accounting.
- Excels in Microsoft Office (with an emphasis in Microsoft Excel), verbal and written communication, and other applicable tools to perform job functions.
- Hard working and committed to producing strong results.
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Three to four years Accounting experience.
The skills we are willing to train you on:
- Developing budgets
- Financial analysis
- Compilation of financial statements and 990 returns
- Institute specific software applications
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
All full-time employees of Van Andel Institute are eligible for benefits, effective day one! The salary you can expect in this Accountant II role is based on your experience and skills.
APPLY NOW! https://bit.ly/33QFfzg
If you are a person who has demonstrated success in these areas, we would love to have a conversation with you! The first step in beginning this conversation is starting your online application and submitting the following:
- Resume or CV
- Cover Letter outlining why you are interested in this role and how this position aligns with your goals
- Names and contact information (emails and phone numbers) for 3 professional references
If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.