Van Andel Institute (VAI), a leading independent biomedical research and science education institute, is seeking to hire a full-time Cage Wash Technician in our Vivarium to ensure VAI is able to continue to provide excellent animal support for our research studies. VAI is dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
As a Cage Wash Technician, you would be responsible for providing operation and maintenance of cage washing and associated equipment. This includes general cleaning duties, inventory, and minor animal interaction; and assisting in the operation and maintenance of the animal facility and equipment. Your primary duties will include:
- Operating and maintaining equipment used in cleaning sanitizing, and sterilizing equipment and materials used in the Vivarium
- Stock storeroom supplies, such as food, bedding, and materials.
- You will be involved in assembling cages and perform laundry and general cleaning in the common areas of the Vivarium.
- You will be loading and transporting waste materials, equipment, and supplies to designated areas.
- You will need to complete record keeping activities according to standards appropriate for the animal care facility.
In this role, you will also be expected to:
- Relay messages through verbal/written means in a clear and effective manner
- Work with potentially hazardous chemicals or radioactive materials,
- Adhere to safety policies and procedures and inform supervisor of potential safety problems.
- Work in a shower-in facility,
- Wear protective gear and equipment as needed.
We are looking for a person who has the following traits and characteristics:
- A strong commitment to building and maintaining a positive work environment.
- Motivated worker with the ability and drive to learn new tasks.
- The ability to work as a largely independent part of a team.
You will possess, at a minimum, a high school diploma or a GED.
Apply Now! https://bit.ly/2X0GUP6
If you possess these attributes and desire to help us drive science from the bench to the clinic; while benefiting from a highly generous compensation package; we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today!
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.