Marketing Communications Manager
Since 1940, Dairy Queen® has been one of the world’s best known and loved brands. Based in Minneapolis, MN, International Dairy Queen Inc., (IDQ), is the parent company of American Dairy Queen Corporation. As a leading franchisor, there are more than 7,000 independently owned and operated restaurants in the U.S., Canada and 21 countries around the world. IDQ is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (Berkshire) which is led by Warren Buffett, the legendary investor and CEO of Berkshire.
Here at IDQ, we create extraordinary Fan experiences every day and we do this through our commitment to hiring and retaining only the best in class talent. We firmly believe that our employees are the catalyst to the success of the company where their initiative, strategic thinking, and entrepreneurial spirit are recognized and rewarded. We're looking for motivated, passionate and dedicated individuals with an inherent need and ambition to go after bigger challenges.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Marketing Communications Manager to be based at our Franchise Support Center located in Burlington, Ontario. This role will provide strategic leadership and flawless execution of all Canadian marketing communications, media and cause marketing initiatives. This includes developing and executing creative for TV, Radio, OOH, Public Relations, local store marketing and direct mail and driving cause marketing strategy to achieve corporate goals. Integral to this role is working alongside the US marketing communications team and US Cause Marketing Manager. The Marketing Communications Manager will also play a leadership role in managing Canadian agency partners to ensure marketing communications and media plans are being delivered against DQ objectives. This role is also responsible for managing the Media and Content Committee, Canadian Franchisee Advisory Committee (CFAC) and Cause Marketing Committee on all initiatives related to this role.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Understands brand positioning and ensures consistent brand message across all communication touch points.
- Proactively identifies operational challenges, anticipates franchisee issues and recommends alternative approaches.
- Leads annual briefing process for media agency partner and stewards plan through approval process including executive, content committee and CFAC.
- Identifies top annual marketing priorities and manages marketing communication plan from briefing media, creative and PR to overseeing flawless execution.
- Proactively provides input to such stakeholders on the effectiveness of various campaigns in achieving such goals.
- Leads development of annual Public Relations Strategy.
- Leads Product positioning (PPW) and briefing process working in conjunction with brand managers. Pressure tests PPW statements to ensure development of a strong creative brief.
- Keeps informed of US initiatives and recommends appropriateness to be picked up by the Canadian market.
- Annually reviews Canada Grand Opening strategy and recommends optimizations to maximize new store performance.
- Leads Direct Mail strategy. Identifies learning and optimizations to maximize campaign effectiveness.
- Leads annual public relations strategy and execution.
- Effectively manages all timelines for campaign development (brief timelines, approvals).
- Stewards creative outputs through the approval process in a timely manner including securing approvals at the executive level, legal, telecaster and content committee. In the case of shared US/Canada creative, ensures Canada is included in the US lead approval process.
- Develops annual production budget and makes recommendations on efficiencies. Tracks production budget monthly to ensure spends stay on track.
- Oversees all shoot aspects of Canadian specific TV creative production. Collaborates with the Research & Development to remain informed and ensure product shoots accurately reflect product builds consistent across all marketing touchpoints.
- Drives problem-solving and decision-making processes in the event of delays or issues with the deployment or execution of campaigns, engaging appropriate stakeholders as necessary.
- Manages media agency BCR by reviewing actual spend versus estimate on a monthly basis to ensure budget stays on track.
- Executes packaging design for Canada including working alongside the US to advocate for Canada copy needs, Canadianizing packaging and working alongside the supply chain to manage packaging design change over timelines.
- Leads execution of Direct Mail campaigns to ensure timelines are met and all approvals are secured including executive, legal and content committee.
- Responsible for managing the overall implementation of all planned initiatives to support Children’s Miracle Network (CMN)and DQ Miracle Treat Day.
- Contributes to the development of effective short and long-term strategies that build and grow contributions levels. related to DQ-sponsored programs Children’s Miracle Network and Miracle Treat Day.
- Interfaces with franchisees, hospitals, vendors, marketing, operations and accounting on CMN activities.
- Manages CMN and MTD awards programs and incentive contests.
- Creates CMN updates for e-News and launch kits as needed.
- Manages all marketing communication programs for Cause Marketing.
- Manages 2 interns in the execution of Miracle Treat Day.
- Responsible for the budget management of Project Assignments – working closely with internal and external agencies to ensure projects stay on budget.
- Effectively manages CMN franchisee committee to ensure committee input on activities is integrated.
- Proven knowledge of social media platforms.
- Previous experience working with a franchisee system, restaurant or retail concept is a plus.
- Experience fostering effective partnerships with agency and/or vendor partners.
- Must possess superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external clients.
- Travel throughout Canada and to the US is required in this role.
- Bachelor’s Degree with minimum 5-8 years of relevant experience, required.
- Campaign Management experience across all touch-points including TV, Radio, Digital, Outdoor, Public Relations, Local Store Marketing, and In-Store Merchandising. Proven track record in effective campaign creation and alignment with marketing objectives.
- Proven experience of direct and digital marketing ideally in a similar industry.
This position is located in Burlington, ON. View the Google Map in full screen.