Vice President Marketing Communications
Since 1940, Dairy Queen® has been one of the world’s best known and loved brands. Based in Minneapolis, MN, International Dairy Queen Inc., (IDQ), is the parent company of American Dairy Queen Corporation. As a leading franchisor, there are more than 7,000 independently owned and operated restaurants in the U.S., Canada and 21 countries around the world. IDQ is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (Berkshire) which is led by Warren Buffett, the legendary investor and CEO of Berkshire.
Here at IDQ, we create extraordinary Fan experiences every day and we do this through our commitment to hiring and retaining only the best in class talent. We firmly believe that our employees are the catalyst to the success of the company where their initiative, strategic thinking, and entrepreneurial spirit are recognized and rewarded. We're looking for motivated, passionate and dedicated individuals with an inherent need and ambition to go after bigger challenges.
IDQ is in search of a Vice President of Marketing Communications based out of our corporate office in Bloomington, MN. The Vice President of Marketing Communications is Dairy Queen’s Brand Steward who is responsible for creating and managing marketing communications programs that consistently build our brand image, consumer connections and ultimately DQ’s business performance.
This individual is an expert in developing the marketing communications strategic vision, goals and plans to maximize all consumer programs, communication channels and touch points for brand growth.
The VP leads the marketing communications team and national agency partners, including the following marketing disciplines: public relations, TV/video advertising, brand activations, in-store point of purchase materials, social/digital marketing, media buying and cause marketing.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Lead the development of an integrated marketing strategy and creative framework across all marketing touch points (national media, in-store merchandising, advertising, digital, promotion, public relations and cause) to align with and enhance the corporate vision and business objectives. Provide creative guidance, ideas and opportunities to build stronger unity across all marketing programs.
- Collaboratively work with the senior marketing leadership team and lead cross-functional discussions across the company relative to the marketing issues/challenges unique to building and sustaining DQ’s brand positioning, communication and performance. Introduce new and dynamic ways of thinking about DQ’s customers resulting in the making of a stronger emotional, experiential connection.
- Oversee the establishment and management of the media mix and media buying for the national media buy with national media agency of record.
- Develop content, video and brand activations that build the brand and enhance the marketing calendar, to drive business growth.
- Create partnership opportunities (i.e. film, TV, gaming, music) and work collaboratively to bring them to life to benefit the DQ brand, generate buzz and retain relevancy.
- Maintain and build trusting relationships between Marcom and ADQ’s cross-functional corporate teams as well as the Franchisee Advisory Committee to ensure marketing communications is working collaboratively across the entire system to maximize opportunities.
- Oversee all philanthropic strategic initiatives (corporate and employee giving) with a goal of increasing fundraising activity and building loyalty and brand enthusiasm within the communities we serve.
- Responsible for marketing communications-related budget management, including: national marketing funds, promotions, cause marketing, public relations and corporate communications.
- Develop, mentor and coach a diverse team of direct reports to become stronger leaders, thinkers and innovators who can effectively advance ideas into action.
- Partner with five direct reports to create an open, positive team environment whereby each member feels empowered and engaged to contribute at the highest possible level.
- Strategic and creative thinker who can quickly develop innovative ideas with proven marketing successes.
- Relationship building skills with the ability to create mutually beneficial relationships with both internal and external clients.
- Ability to be a team leader and facilitate brainstorming sessions.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; proven skills in clearly and persuasively presenting to the most senior level audiences, including executives and franchisee leadership councils/committees.
- Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple projects and requests simultaneously, within an intense, deadline-driven environment.
- Well organized with a high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external clients.
- Ability to work quickly in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment.
- Ability to coordinate with other departments to complete projects on time.
- Strong knowledge and familiarity with the Restaurant Industry.
- B.A. or B.S. degree in Marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Advanced related degree desirable.
- Must have 15 plus years of prior Marketing experience, including proven ability in the development of successful integrated marketing campaigns.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years experience managing employees.
- Experience working within a franchisor organization, preferably a QSR brand.
Benefit package includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, employer paid basic life insurance, short and long-term disability, paid sick and vacation, 401(k) match, tuition reimbursement, wellness challenges and more!
IDQ is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. IDQ participates in the US E-Verify program.
To view our applicant privacy policies, please click the following links:
This position is located in Bloomington, MN. View the Google Map in full screen.