Press Assistant, Sheet-fed
Works within and directs a press crew as needed. Performs manual and machine 2nd operator tasks related to the set-up, and operations of the press. Responsible for helping 1st Operator in achieving quantitative and qualitative press performance.
- Makes ready tasks (plates, blankets, web-up, clean-up) and helps operate offset printing press.
- Examines job order to determine quantity to be printed, stock specifications, colors, and special printing instructions.
- Applies packing sheet to cylinder to build up blanket thickness to diameter of cylinder.
- Measures paper thickness, adjusts space between blanket & impression cylinders according to paper stock.
- Adjusts controls to regulate flow of ink and dampening solution to plate cylinder.
- Starts press, examines printed copy for position on paper and registration and makes adjustments to press throughout production run to maintain specific registration and color density when needed.
- Makes adjustments to feeder and delivery mechanism.
- Hangs rolls and monitors roll stands for proper operation and splicing.
- Remove and replace worn rollers and adjusts pressure between rollers of press, using hand tools.
- Gives directions to, trains, and monitors work of other crew members.
- Performs job duties in accordance with company safety rules.
- Responsible for stocking machines as needed, performs proper and required maintenance as well as cleaning of press.
- Performs other duties as assigned, ability to fill any other duties amongst the press crew as needed.
- Must be able to follow strict quality control measures and pay close attention to detail.
- Must be able to meet schedules while being responsible for ensuring quality work.
- Offset Production areas of building.
- Extended time standing, walking, includes stairs on occasion, as well as holding or handling printed materials.
- Must be able properly lift and insert/remove roll shafts from roll stand or handle off stacking product off the press.
- Noise level moderate to loud in associated print and warehouse areas.
- Temperature variation between work areas, may be cold/warm in areas of the warehouse.
- May occasionally need to move or lift materials up to 70 pounds.
RRD is an EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled Employer
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent; 2+ years of experience with offset presses.
- 2nd press operator experience in a time sensitive printing and production environment.
- History of performing well under pressure; capable of multi-tasking.
- Good communication and comprehension skills -- including written and verbal.
- Team and goal oriented; and, must be very detailed oriented.
- Must be able to work 12 hour shifts.
- Pacific Standard Print supports a drug-free work environment and requires pre-employment background checks and drug screening.