HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
We are currently seeking a Staff Attorney to join our team. As a Staff Attorney, you will be responsible for providing legal services including preparation of legal opinions, research support, document preparation and related legal services as well as providing routine and generalized support to the General Counsel.
- Provide legal counsel and advice to business unit management in legal matters affecting HOK.
- Review, negotiate and draft contracts and subcontracts for protection of HOK’s contractual posture, satisfaction of government and client specifications and adherence to HOK policy and applicable laws.
- Anticipate and guard against legal, regulatory and compliance risks facing HOK. Assist in the development and recommendation of HOK policy and position on legal issues.
- Examine documents, statutes, decisions and ordinances affecting the corporation and informs the General Counsel of any corporate issues. May act as agent of the corporation in various transactions, as authorized.
- Review, draft, edit and negotiate various contractual agreements including but not limited to, client contracts, subcontracts, vendor agreements, software and technology license agreements, non-disclosure agreements and teaming agreements.
- Review client contracts for liability and insurance issues; negotiates desired language; acts as trouble shooter with clients on legal issues which may affect the firm.
- Counsel internal clients on all aspects of government prime and sub contracts, including compliance with federal and state procurement regulations, intellectual property/data rights, export controls, foreign ownership, and termination provisions.
- Assist in the maintenance of corporate registrations and other compliance-related activities.
- May participate to resolve legal issues or concerns in the area of human resources, insurance or professional liability issues.
- Take personal responsibility for fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
- Knowledge of legal principles and contract law.
- Ability to interpret laws and court decisions as they relate to HOK.
- Ability to prepare a variety of legal documents, including agreements and contracts.
- Ability to handle confidential material with discretion.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical and logical thinking skills required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Excellent negotiation skills required.
- Proven ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with external clients.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Juris Doctorate required. Membership in the State Bar as an Attorney qualified to practice law in one or more states required.
- Previous corporate law or experience in an architecture, engineering or construction firm preferred.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.