Research Technician - Lena Brundin Lab
Van Andel Institute for research is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
Lena Brundin, M.D., Ph.D., is seeking to hire a full-time Research Technician to be a key part of the research team. The research in the laboratory investigates how inflammation in the periphery and the central nervous system can give rise to symptoms of depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts/behavior. The candidate selected for this role will work within the Laboratory and adhere to given experimental protocols, will focus on working with clinical samples, will record and analyze the results in a presentable fashion, and be authors on scientific publications. The individual should have curiosity about science and research and be self-driven and hard working.
The position will require an individual to possess the following skillset and characteristics:
- Highly accurate pipetting technique.
- Highly motivated and efficient.
- Attention to detail.
- Able to strictly adhere to protocols and standard operating procedures to enable Good Laboratory Practices.
- Ability to focus on task for prolonged period of time.
Additional techniques, which are desired, however, not required:
- Clinical chemistry analytical methods such as UPLC and/or GC-MS
- ELISA, Western Blotting, and tissue staining protocols
The lab will train the individual on techniques they are not familiar with, as long as they are a quick learner and motivated.
- The person must have at least a B.Sc. degree in biological sciences (Background in chemistry would be highly desirable)
- A self-driven and hard-working individual who has a strong curiosity about basic science and its clinical application
- A highly organized multi-tasker who pays attention to detail and values research integrity
- A collegial team member with the ability to interact effectively and cordially with colleagues and collaborators
- Highly accurate pipetting skills
If you possess these attributes and desire to help us drive science from the bench to the clinic, we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today!
To apply please submit:
- Online application
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Cover Letter highlighting your interest in this position and your key qualifications
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located in Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.