Are you a journalist with experience covering energy and related sectors?
Are you accustomed to meeting multiple daily deadlines?
Then we can't wait to hear from you.
SmartBrief is seeking a full-time editor to create e-mail newsletters that summarize news about energy topics for a B2B audience. Candidates would need to be available to start as early as 7 a.m. ET Monday through Friday.
The ideal candidate has a news background focused on energy, commodities, manufacturing or business, has written or edited professionally for 1-3 years, and can meet multiple daily deadlines with ease. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with becoming a known and trusted expert on energy topics.
Candidates also need to demonstrate an ability to maintain positive relationships with clients and, when needed, collaborate with clients to produce high-quality newsletters with valuable, timely information for professionals in various industries.
Applicants will be asked to complete timed writing and editing tests. The position is located onsite in Washington, D.C., though the ideal candidate may telecommute.
- Edit and manage e-newsletters covering energy and other topics with an eye toward using the ideal grammar, style and tone for a particular audience.
- Manage relationships with associations, corporations and other business clients as well as content providers.
- Meet multiple daily deadlines and manage other projects as needed.
- Manage a small team of freelance staff who assist in producing each newsletter.
- Occasionally publish original content/reporting on energy topics.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Publishing experience covering energy, commodities, manufacturing or business news for at least 1-3 years
- Sophisticated understanding of how to find news and information on the Web.
- Proven editing skills and comfort with using online publishing tools.
- Ability to edit quickly and accurately on deadline, starting at 7 a.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
- Knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills. Preference given to candidates with client relationship management experience.