Director of Engineering and Product Development - Medical
For more than 35 years, Cortland Company has custom-built solutions that work in the toughest environments and overcome some of the world’s greatest challenges. Now, it has made a significant investment in advancing its capabilities for biomedical textiles. Cortland Biomedical custom designs high-performance biomedical textile structures leveraging years of experience in medical textile engineering methods including knitting, braiding and weaving. Our brand-new state-of-the-art facility reflects our commitment to offering superior, full- scale medical textile production customized to a wide variety of customer and market needs. Never comfortable with the status quo, Cortland Biomedical’s unique combination of advanced equipment and technology, a seasoned medical textile-specific engineering team, and first-rate R&D capabilities allows us to tackle customers’ complex challenges with the innovation and agility they expect and deserve.
Cortland is wholly owned by Enerpac Tool Group. Enerpac Tool Group is a premier industrial tools and services company serving a broad and diverse set of customers in more than 25 countries. The Company’s businesses are global leaders in high pressure hydraulic tools, controlled force products and solutions for precise positioning of heavy loads that help customers safely and reliably tackle some of the most challenging jobs around the world. The Company was founded in 1910 and is headquartered in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. Enerpac Tool Group trades on the NYSE under the symbol “EPAC”. For further information on Enerpac Tool Group and its businesses, visit the Company's website at https://www.enerpactoolgroup.com/.
Position Title: Director of Engineering and Product Development - Medical
This individual provides leadership and direction to the medical engineering department and is accountable for the performance and results of the team. Develops and applies engineering standards and procedures while ensuring medical products are engineered to meet or exceed customer expectations, internal design and quality criteria. This individual is a member of the medical business leadership team and assists the development and execution of the growth strategy.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- This position will be the Team leader of the Cortland Medical engineering team. The team is responsible for converting customer enquiries into designs that meet the design criteria and can be manufactured using the existing Cortland equipment.
- Develop, implement, and maintain process and procedures for engineering and product development to meet the needs of medical customers, while remaining in compliance with all applicable regulations and quality requirements.
- Collaborate with the Sales director to support the medical sales activity in Cortland. Play an active role by interfacing directly with customers to identify new business opportunities with the objective of positioning the company competitively within the market
- Build, motivate and lead an innovative engineering team with a “can do” attitude through mentoring, development and leadership. Work cross functionally to remove departmental barriers.
- Along with other leaders in the medical group, such as operations, sales and finance, create a business culture of team work which is results oriented, customer focused, and driven to deliver quality products.
- Identify and participate in industry associations and forums in support of the Cortland Medical strategy.
- Support the continuous improvement activities as required.
- Ensure all engineering activities are carried out in accordance with all quality system requirements and utilizing sound engineering practices.
- Ensure proper records are kept of all engineering activities to support needs that might arise due to customer audits, IP strategy or other quality and regulatory requirements.
- Continuously grow technical capabilities, with commercial awareness, by actively investigating the development of new technologies and products in the medical field that could impact Cortland Medical. Develop strategies to address risks and opportunities that arise from these technologies.
- Ensure compliance with independent product approving bodies and international performance and quality standards, where applicable.
- Maintain quality, safety and environmental standards and take any corrective actions as required.
- Provide engineering advice and assistance as required and perform other related duties as assigned.
- Flexible to overseas and domestic travel as required.
- To always ensure that their acts or omissions do not present a danger to themselves, anyone else, the environment or the safe operation of any plant or equipment.
- To intervene and report any defect in equipment or practice or any dangerous circumstance or event which could affect HSQE performance.
- To comply with all HSQE customer and company requirements.
Skills and Competencies
- Degree in mechanical or textile engineering with, or appropriate engineering experience within a biomedical textile company.
- 5 years of supervisory experience leading a team.
- Working knowledge of FDA, ISO and other applicable regulations in the field of biomedical textiles.
- Experience in managing an engineering team.
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- Strong customer interfacing skills.
- Proven successful design track record working in an aggressive business environment, delivering projects on time and within budget.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the design and manufacture of biomedical textiles
- Sound theoretical engineering knowledge (general performance, stress/strain/fatigue behavior, biocompatibility, aging, etc) of fibers, plastics and metals used in medical applications.
- Proficient with MS office applications, particularly Word, Excel, Outlook, Project and Power Point.
- Ability to continually evolve product theory.
- Effective time management skills which creates the ability to handle multiple priorities.
Employee’s work environment will vary from day to day from either office environment or climate-controlled manufacturing facilities.
Two Process Engineers
Three Development Engineers
If you’re looking for a unique, exciting career with variety and potential for growth, Enerpac Tool Group offers challenges & extraordinary rewards for people on a global scale. Never Compromise – choose ETG!
EEO/AA (W/M/Vets/Disability) Employer