Research Laboratory Manager
The Van Andel Institute (VAI) is an agile biomedical research and education organization that unleashes innovation to multiply impact. VAI collaborates around the world to advance bold ideas in biomedicine and education. With a staff of more than 400 and a growing network of partners, VAI studies the origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases and translates its finding into breakthrough prevention and treatment strategies to improve human health.
The Triche Lab seeks to hire a fulltime Laboratory Manager to be a key part of our research team. The laboratory develops statistical, mathematical, and genomic methods to dissect pediatric and adult diseases. In addition to working with large clinical consortia and trial data (COG, TARGET and POETIC), the lab has secured industry support for novel single-cell assays to interrogate immunometabolism in pediatric and adult cancers. As we shift from primarily dry to increasingly wet lab development, we seek an experienced lab manager with strong communications skills and an interest in assay automation.
In this role, your tasks would include:
- Management of day-to-day operations and activities of the (wet) laboratory
- Participation in and facilitation of laboratory research projects and grants
- Contributions to publications, grants, and laboratory budget priorities
- Mentoring junior staff, postdocs, graduate students, and interns
- Management of expenditures, supplies, and records
The individual should be curious, experienced, self-driven, efficient, motivated and hard working.
The position will require the following skills:
- Genome and transcriptome assay development (Oxford Nanopore, Illumina)
- Tissue culture, maintenance, transfection and transduction of cell lines and primary cells
- High performance computing experience for data processing and dissemination
- Confocal microscopy, flow cytometry, and live cell imaging
- Figure production, writing, and editing of scientific publications and grant proposals
- Experimental design, analysis, and (ideally) automated integration of assay results
- 5-10 years of biological research experience, preferably with assay development experience.
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux, R, high performance computing, and reproducible research.
- Experience managing and directing priorities for multiple collaborators
- At least a B.Sc. degree, though an M.S. is preferred. Published work is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with materials transfer agreements (MTAs), data use agreements (DUAs), research sharing and cost sharing arrangements, and the implications of all of the above for research conduct
- A highly organized multi-tasker who pays attention to detail and values research integrity
The following expectations should be met within the first 3 months.
- 1 month – Develop a solid understanding of the team, its projects, and their context
- 3 months – Develop and demonstrate autonomy in managing at least one such project
How to Apply
If you possess these attributes and desire to help us drive science from the bench to the clinic and back, we encourage you to apply today! http://bit.ly/35VuPNs
- A cover letter describing your research interests, experience, and contributions
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 3 individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details.
Please contact Megan Doerr (Megan.Doerr@vai.org) for further information or questions, or if you have any difficulty with the application process.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you would expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located in Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.