Research Technician - Pospisilik Lab
Research Technician – Pospisilik Lab
The Van Andel Institute for Research (VAI) is an independent and world-class biomedical research institute dedicated to determining the fundamental molecular origins of disease and translating those findings into effective therapies. VAI for Research is home to more than 300 scientists and staff that work in on-site laboratories and collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
The Pospisilik lab, a founding member of this new initiative, aims to understand the epigenetic and evolutionary basis of disease, with a focus on metabolic, inflammatory, intergenerational and cancer control, and is seeking a part-time Research technician to join the team.
In this part-time role, your schedule will be determined between Dr. Pospisilik and yourself, however the expectation is you will be working up to 10-20 hours per week.
You will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Animal genotyping and tissue harvesting
- Tissue culture of primary cells and cell lines
- Flow cytometry
- Molecular biology (RNA isolation, qRT-PCR, ELISA)
- NGS library preparation (RNA-, ChIP-, and ATAC-seq)
- Experimental design
- Confocal microscopy
- Preparation of buffers and reagents
- Data analysis and management
- Exceptional technical writing or computational skills may open additional prospects
You possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in biological sciences or dedicated laboratory technician training, focusing on molecular and cellular biology and have 2-10 years of hands on bench experience including the technical experience listed above.
Ideally, you are a hands on individual with a strong curiosity about basic science and its clinical application; you are highly organized, a multi-tasker who pays attention to detail and values research integrity; and you are patient and love contributing to a team dynamic, mentoring and common goals. You communicate well.
The following expectations should be met within the first 3 months.
- 1 month – Develop a solid understanding of the team and its projects.
- 3 months – Be capable of assisting in the various lab projects from tissue dissection and processing to independently genotyping.
How to Apply
If you possess these attributes and enjoy working with motivated and driven people, we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today! http://bit.ly/2VQDLyU
- A cover letter describing your research interests, experience, and how you might contribute to Pospisilik Lab Research.
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 2-3 individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details.
Please contact Megan Doerr (Megan.Doerr@vai.org) for further information or questions, or if you have any difficulty with the application process.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI,the second largest city in Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked 19th in "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located in Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.